• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HD Camcorders Compatible with Mac???

Reaction score
I'm in the market of purchasing a new HD Camcorder that will be compatible with my Powerbook G4. Can anyone give me some advice on which models work the best?

I recently purchased a Sony DCR-SR80 which did not transfer any video at all.

What are my options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Are you transferring video via Firewire? Cause almost every video camera out there works on the Mac. Now if USB is your thing, then it will have problems. I suggest you get a Firewire cable (4pin to 6pin I think) and it should work out of the box (with iMovie or any other video editing software)

OP
W
Reaction score
In the past, I had used USB. I would prefer firewire. What camera would you recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Doesn't your Sony Camera have Firewire? Anyway, if that is not the concern, then I don't know much about camera brands and models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I found a thread in Apple's forums started by someone with the identical issue with that Sony model. Apparently you will have to copy the DV data from the camera's HDD to your computer and then convert it to MPEG using the appropriate tools. Specifically mentioned were MPEG Streamclip (also needs the MPEG-2 plug-in for Quicktime); VisualHub; DVDxDV; Toast. If this works out for ya, then hopefully you can avoid buying a new camera.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5169054

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
The Sony HDR-FX7E Handycam HDV 1080i works well with my MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jan 08 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Core, 10GB Ram, 2.25TB, ATi Radeon 3870.
I recommend the Canon HV20. Its around a $1000 bucks but it is very popular in the Indie film community as being an affordable, good HD cam. It records on MiniDV so you are guaranteed to have firewire and since it's not an HDD cam you don't have to worry about proprietary file formats and having to re-encode into something iMovie/Final Cut/Premiere/your NLE here will understand.

If you can spend more than that, there is always the Panasonic HVX-200 (~$5000), Canon XHA1 (~$3200), and the Canon XL-H1 (~$8000). Look here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89216 for more info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I am using a MiniDV video camera that has a firewire port. I reckon any camera with a firewire connection will do. You just have to buy the firewire cable that connects from the camera to your mac.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I reckon any camera with a firewire connection will do. You just have to buy the firewire cable that connects from the camera to your mac.

Before you buy check the packaging and included accessories with whatever camera you buy as there may be a bundled firewire cable with it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.