Yet another new Mac owner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1
Hi all,
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I've recently (as in last night) bought my first new Mac, a 2Hz Mini. I'm pretty much still new to Macs, but have worked with PCs professionally in a corporate environment for about 15 yerars. The first half of that was as desktop / hardware / software support, and the last 7 have been as a System Administrator (Windows/Netware/Linux). I've worked on the Macs of a couple of relatives, was given an old-school first-generation all-in-one iMac, which I loaded OSX 10.3 on, and I've recently been playing around with OSX on VMware.

All this led me to the decision to buy my Mini. So far, so good. I'm liking what I've seen. Leopard is pretty nice and brings a lot to the table.

Unlike a lot of folks I've noticed on here, I'm not really looking to "switch", simply because I happen to like the Windows OS, even Vista, and don't really have the kinds of issues that some folks seem to have with it. Maybe that's becasue of my background and experience with them, and my tendency to not download and install every piece of junk or "free" program on the net.

I'm also fairly fluent in Linux/Unix, having to administer a few dozen Linux boxen on a dailiy basis too, so the back-end of OSX is not so alien to me either. In fact, with the BSD-derivative core, OSX integrates with my home Linux network fairly easily. Looks like there's room in my computer "stable" for Macs too :)

Anyway, enough babbling. Just thought I'd say hello.

-Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
Nice to meet you jeff. I think you will very soon love your mac.

Reaction score
BTW what is that thing in your avatar i keep seeing it everywhere yet i have no idea what it is :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
welcome

You must be a true IT professional if you have Windows Linux and Mac at home

Seems a lot of IT professionals are warming to the mac, what really made you decide to buy your first mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
BTW what is that thing in your avatar i keep seeing it everywhere yet i have no idea what it is :D

It's a thing called a Domo Kun, and it's a Japanese thing. It is one of many clichés out there in the internet, along with other internet memes such as cliché kitty, and the star wars kid. Most Internet memes stem from sites that do Photoshop contests, like fark.com or worth100 and the like.

A quick google should give you your answer in more depth.

And welcome OP, I too am one of those "I use and am fluent in all three platforms" kind of guy, with my primary machine being a Mac.

OP
jeffk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, AppleTV2 (x2), iPad1
Thanks for the welcome everybody. Yes, my avatar is Domo-Kun. I thought it was kinda cool so I grabbed it to use. He's a character in promos for Japanese television. You tube has the promo spots. Anyway, yep, I have a pretty widespread home network. In fact, prior to our upgrade from GroupWise 5.5 to 7 (I'm also the GroupWise email administrator), I installed a complete and working Groupwise system on my home network, just so I was familiar with it when we did it at work. Even my fellow geeks at work shook their heads at that one :). I dunno what really made me buy the Mini. I suppose it's because the visual impact of OSX appealed to me. With my computing "habits", stability is not really a problem for me on any platform, so that wasn't it. I suppose it was because it's something new to me and I was looking to learn something different. That and most of my friends and relatives have PCs, but a few have Macs, and they're always asking for help, but since I wasn't so familiar with Mac OS, I really couldn't do a whole lot. Looking to change that too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Congrats on the new purchase, and welcome to the forums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.