iMail issues extending to Thunderbird too!

Reaction score
I was using iMail for my mac.com email address and it worked fine. Then all of a sudden no mail would show up in my imail for my mac.com account. the last day any new mail showed up was Dec. 10/07. Outgoing mail just seems to hang there never actually going out. I've had to go to www.mac.com and use my mac email address there. The only way to shut down mail is to force quit it.

I decided to download Thunderbird mail since I'd used it as a pc user and I liked it. Two problems with it. One I can't seem to just copy my address book from in so all addresses have to be manually put in. But worse than that, while may mac email will come in, I can't send anything back out. It says it's "connecting to smtp.mac.com and then just hangs there. I have no problem sending mail from Thunderbird using my gmail account, only my mac. After awhile, the status progress message disappears and I get a "send message error" saying "sending of message fail. The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smpt.mac.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connectiions. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again or else contact your network adminstrator. I work on my own at home and I use a 16" Imac.
Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Whats iMail? I didn't know there was a '16'' Imac'

Anyway sounds to me like incorrect server settings. the setting you use for Gmail aren't the same as the ones you use for .mac

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry, it's not a 16"iMAC, it's the 20" iMac and it's just mail. I'm still getting used to this whole thing. But I still have the problem where using Mail, it's bringing in my gmail ok but it's not bringing in my mac.com mail or allowing me to send out using my [email protected]. It's very weird that the mail app is allowing my gmail to come in and go out but not the mac mail. Does anyone have any advice for that?

OP
M
Reaction score
plus I still have the problem even in Thunderbird of sending mail out using my [email protected]. it will bring the mail in but if I try to send out it just hangs there. like I said, no trouble with the gmail coming in or going out on Mail or on Thunderbird but on Mail, no mac coming or going and on Thunderbird no mac going out, only coming in.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thunderbird automatically put my mac mail settings in. so did mail. I don't get why it's not working yet but if it's settings, where do I find out what settings are correct and where do I correct it because from what I can tell on Thunderbird, it's just automatically putting it in as smtp.mac.com and not giving me any choice as to settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
It could be a problem with your ISP. check with them about settings for sending and receiving mail on their network. if you search these forums I'm sure you'll find some stuff about sending mail using Mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Did you sign up for a 30 day trial of .Mac and it has ended?

OP
M
Reaction score
no trial,I paid for the whole year. I went to my ISP and they checked everything on their end and said they see no reason why I can't send email through MAIL or through Thunderbird but it's not their fault.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.