Moving Data with an Ethernet Cable?

Reaction score
I just got my MacBook Pro today and it's an awesome change from the Windows laptop I've been using. However, I ran into a problem trying to move data onto the new machine. I have 7GB each in Music and Pictures that I need to get moved onto my MBP, so I figured that using an ethernet cable would be the fastest option. To copy these files into the "Shared Folder" on windows would take about 5 hours each because of their size, so I tried to make "My Documents" a shared folder, but now the problem is I can no longer see any network information when I open up Finder. The connection between the two computers never changed, but it just disappeared. Any suggestions for how to just get these files over as quickly and safely as possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.0GHz C2D iMac, 2.5GB RAM || 2GHz C2D Macbook White, 2GB RAM || PowerMac G4 533MHz, 1GB RAM
I just got my MacBook Pro today and it's an awesome change from the Windows laptop I've been using. However, I ran into a problem trying to move data onto the new machine. I have 7GB each in Music and Pictures that I need to get moved onto my MBP, so I figured that using an ethernet cable would be the fastest option. To copy these files into the "Shared Folder" on windows would take about 5 hours each because of their size, so I tried to make "My Documents" a shared folder, but now the problem is I can no longer see any network information when I open up Finder. The connection between the two computers never changed, but it just disappeared. Any suggestions for how to just get these files over as quickly and safely as possible?

Could you ever see the Windows computer while connected directly via ethernet?

OP
A
Reaction score
I could for the first few minutes that they were connected. Once I changed file settings on the Windows computer so that the file could get shared I lost the connection between the two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
The IP address might have changed in case you're using DHCP. Just reconnect with the changed IP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I've found that it is usually easier to connect the PC to the Mac when doing it via Ethernet/IP. A lot of this has to do with the fact that the Mac tells you exactly the map address (ip address + share name) and in windows you can easily type in the address that is given on the Mac to connect to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
Hi i need to do this aswell transfer music and movies via ethernet cable not sure how to to do it though apple switch 101 migrate was usless it confused me so if some one can help it'd be appreciated. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.