• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Aren't you fed up of reading things like this?

M

MacHeadCase

Microsoft patent could force downloaders to view commercials:

...Microsoft's patent application, titled Enforcing Advertising Playback For Downloaded Media Content, describes systems that are based both on tokens and DRM which would prohibit playing a media file unless its accompanying advertising is viewed. The technology is designed to prohibit fast-forwarding, editing, or otherwise circumventing the advertisements, though it is unclear exactly where the ads would be placed. Internet users have repeatedly announced their distaste for pre-roll ads in streaming content and video games, but users of NBC's Hulu service reportedly don't mind its TV-like interstitial ads. ...

Man, I'm fed up with ads finding their way into more and more stuff... Facebook has these creepy ads now that evaporate after a certain number of seconds... In a few months, I betcha they'll extend that to a minute, then a couple of minutes, then... GAH!!!

You buy DVDs and you get ads!!!

Jeez! Gimme a break!!! :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
This is the kind of stuff that drives a person into piracy.
You get a DVD, you have to watch an Ad (sometimes even an anti piracy one).
You download a DVD off P2P, watch it without interruptions...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yup, the state of affairs sure is a sad one.

I love how I pay for cable TV, but have to watch ads. Then, to add insult to injury, my program guide on my digital cable is chock full of ads too. Can they ever get enough ad revenue or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Unfortunately that's the cost of consuming content for the most part. I personally don't mind a few ads, but when it's so full of ads it takes away from the viewing experience it can definitely suck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I agree. Anywhere they can fit an ad in they can. It's ridiculous. When I had Netzero way back when that drove me insane. And if you pay for a service then why do you need more ads. My XM radio in my car plays ads on certain stations and it drive me nuts. I'm paying for this to have no ads and yet....

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Yup, the state of affairs sure is a sad one.

I love how I pay for cable TV, but have to watch ads. Then, to add insult to injury, my program guide on my digital cable is chock full of ads too. Can they ever get enough ad revenue or what?

I remember when they started cable, they told consumers we would never see ads to bait us into buying the service. See where we are now? Bleh. :Sleeping:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Movies are the worst currently. I have to spend $8 to see a movie in theaters, and get bombarded with several ads before the movie even starts.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Last time I went to a movie theatre, they were getting close to having up to thirty minutes of ads before the main feature started... :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i am agreeing with all of you. I dont like the constant bombardment of ads every time i turn around. The worst to me is when i go to the movies or rent one and the person/people i am with want to arrive in time to see the "previews" (fancy term for advertisement)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Video games are starting to pick up too. I just downloaded the Burnout Paradise demo, and there are ads for CompUSA and other stores too in the game.

Reaction score
I also just read that with Microsoft powered cellphones there will now be ads that will have to be viewed!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Personally I like ads. It gives me time to go get another beer, make nachos, go to the loo, speak to my family, jog around the block, put out the garbage, wash the car, go shopping, and build the shed out back without missing any of the show........:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Personally I like ads. It gives me time to go get another beer, make nachos, go to the loo, speak to my family, jog around the block, put out the garbage, wash the car, go shopping, and build the shed out back without missing any of the show........:D

Well, i'm certainly not going to argue with anyone who can drink that much beer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
And what if there were no ads what so ever? Then you would never know when something new came along...at least probably not for a long while.

And movie previews show other movies. It's not like they're advertisements for buying a car or eating at a restaurant (at least the previews that are made for the movie and not ones supplied by the theatres). I rather enjoy being up on movies that are coming up or seeing a little preview of what's to come. And if you don't like movie previews, show up fifteen minutes late. Takes care of that.

How many of you run businesses or work for small businesses? If it wasn't for advertising, you wouldn't have as much work/customers and maybe wouldn't even have enough to let the business continue. Advertisements do this. If you see an ad and don't like it or it's not relevant to you, it doesn't mean some of the other thousands of people that are bound to see the same ad won't find some use in it.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

When those ads invade my space like that, I make a special effort NOT to buy from those places or use those products. :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
And what if there were no ads what so ever? Then you would never know when something new came along...at least probably not for a long while.

And movie previews show other movies. It's not like they're advertisements for buying a car or eating at a restaurant (at least the previews that are made for the movie and not ones supplied by the theatres). I rather enjoy being up on movies that are coming up or seeing a little preview of what's to come. And if you don't like movie previews, show up fifteen minutes late. Takes care of that.

How many of you run businesses or work for small businesses? If it wasn't for advertising, you wouldn't have as much work/customers and maybe wouldn't even have enough to let the business continue. Advertisements do this. If you see an ad and don't like it or it's not relevant to you, it doesn't mean some of the other thousands of people that are bound to see the same ad won't find some use in it.

I have to agree with you, but there is definitely a point where it's too much, and they're crossing it.

Actually, they do have advertisements for thing other than movies at the movies now. They're doing regular product ads, but they're worse because they're like 2-3 minutes instead of 30 seconds. The worst one now IMHO is the Army rock music video to try to recruit people. Equating killing people with rock music is just kinda sick and very distasteful. I expect that from shameless greedy corporate types, but not our supposedly less shameless greedy government.

I for one show up to the movie 10-15 minutes late. Less waiting for tickets/popcorn and no watching that crap (usually).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The more intrusive they get, the more I block them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i enjoy having ads for movies at the beginning of movies. it's always nice to know what's new. but it's better now that they have on dvds. where you can just choose to watch all the ads from the dvd menu.
i think the worst though, especially during this time of year, when they use icons like santa just to sell things. i enjoy my santa giving me things, not trying to get me to buy them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I have to agree with you, but there is definitely a point where it's too much, and they're crossing it.

Actually, they do have advertisements for thing other than movies at the movies now. They're doing regular product ads, but they're worse because they're like 2-3 minutes instead of 30 seconds. The worst one now IMHO is the Army rock music video to try to recruit people. Equating killing people with rock music is just kinda sick and very distasteful. I expect that from shameless greedy corporate types, but not our supposedly less shameless greedy government.

I for one show up to the movie 10-15 minutes late. Less waiting for tickets/popcorn and no watching that crap (usually).

I know which one you're talking about, but afaik, That's not something that's sponsored by the production company that releases the films, that's part of the ads that the theatre gets paid to run before the movie actually start. Those ads suck...But I have an iPhone and can browse the internet anywhere. It's no problem now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Only on tv and radio...and in magazines...and movies. And at ball games, on buses, and milk cartons, and t-shirts, and bananas, and written on the sky. But not in dreams! No sirree.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.