Bootcamp and VMWare fusion

Reaction score
I installed win xp on bootcamp activated it and runs fine. I then installed vmware fusion to run from the bootcamp partition, installed vmware tools but windows keeps asking me for a new product key when trying to run windows from the VM. Do I need to pay microsoft twice for the OS to get a new product key or am I doing something wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I think VMW will create a new virtual machine, which means a new hardware profile, which would make Windows think it is a new installation.
I just bought Fusion earlier this week... so sorry I can't be of more help, yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I get this problem...
XP detects that there are significant hardware changes and wants to re-validate
I clicked validate, and it errors saying that I have used my product key too many times
I then booted back into XP natively and everything works fine

This is really annoying and I thought by having vmWare tools installed (which I do) it eliminates the problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it seems like everything is functioning normally. You bought a license for one copy it sounds like, and XP thinks it's on two different machines.
The whole point of virtual machines is to make the OS think it is on an entirely separate physical machine. Therefore your results are expected.

What you need to do is import the true physical XP into a virtual machine. It think then and only then will VMWare emulate the physical machine, and so make XP think nothing happened.

But then you will have two XPs. One on a partition, and other in a VM image.

BootCamp partitions and VMs may be import/exportable, but they are not universal, which I think is what you're expecting.

OP
C
Reaction score
So do you think that if you call msft (instead of authenticating on line) they would give you an extra product key to use with the partition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I doubt it... technically you are running two installations. One in a bootcamp partition and another as a VM image. They can be used for different tasks, users, companies... there is no way for them to be sure you are sincere. But it's worth a shot!

But... why bother with bootcamp when you have Fusion?

You may get a faster response by contacting VMW first and letting them know your woes. They may have a solution I don't know of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
one of vmWare fusion's 'features' is the ability to boot bootamp partitions....
vmWare tools "should have" corrected the problem of activation

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
First, I need to correct the apparent misconception that running Windows virtually from a partition is two installations. It's not. Your BootCamp install is one install. And Fusion can run that install virtually.

Nputer, your problem may be that you installed Windows with BootCamp, then installed it again using Fusion. You should instead install it with BootCamp, then set up Fusion to run Windows from the Windows partition.
Search the Fusion documentation for "create virtual machine from BootCamp partition."
EDIT: nope, I see you know about the BootCamp install. Read on then!

cleon, if the above applies, change your install...but it sounds like you did it correctly... The Fusion documentation talks about Windows wanting to reactivate every time you switch boot types (native or virtual). The important thing is to get VMWare Tools installed. Even if you did this already, there will be an "Update VMWare Tools" selection under the VMWare Fusion on the program menu. When you choose this option, you can Modify, Repair, or Uninstall. I recommend a Repair and that should take care of it.
It has happened to me that the VMWare installation did not complete or the registry got messed up somehow (it is Windows, after all).

Finally, to giulio: bootcamp still has it's place. I run Windows via Fusion for most little things, but it's nice to be able to reboot to native Windows in cases where a Windows app needs 3D graphics or other high RAM/CPU usage, and you can't/don't want to share the RAM with Mac for performance issues.

Reaction score
Phone Microsoft it takes 5 mins they ask was this software pre-installed and how many machines is it on. Just say it's on the one machine and they issue you a 40 something digit number pop it in a it's done. I've phoned up loads of times for my bros machine over the many years when we have upgraded parts and when we formatted it. It's simple give them a phone on the toll free number and you will be activated in no time.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Neo, however I tried repairing and even uninstalling VNW and reinstalling it but no luck! I think I will do what nirvana suggested and call msft...
I am surprised however that VMW tools didn't take care of that automatically. Also I tried VM support but still waiting for a response a week later! Obviously these guys are not very good on the support front.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I am also going to try what nirvana said...
but one question... when I activate xp when I am running it natively, would I use the new or old product key.

And what we are doing is not against Microsoft's Terms and Conditions, right?
Techinically windows is only installed once.

Reaction score
They ask if it is installed on one machine and i guess it is only on one proper machine it isn't as though you are installing it on all your mates computers. No they don't give you a new serial just a code that validates it that one time. If you ever need to phone up again just do the same thing i have called countless times.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.