• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

CompUSA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I read in my local paper that CompUSA is closing its doors... interesting considering they sell MAC Im wondering if they will have some great deals, what do you all think is it worth the time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro. 16GB iPod Touch.
I went in there to try and use a warranty they sold me on my Mighty Mouse (which keeps failing) but they wouldn't do anything so now I have to go online and try to get service... Lame.

Anyway...

It seems like everything in the store is 10-30% off, I'm not sure if it applies to Apple products though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Good riddance - over priced goods, unhelpful staff and poorly laid out stores. What did they expect. Oh, and I love the way they virtually frisk you on the way out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
When the CompUSA out here closed 2 years ago the had 10% off Mac stuff. The sold the last Mini as I walked in the doors....
10% is practically nothing on smaller items.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When the CompUSA out here closed 2 years ago the had 10% off Mac stuff. The sold the last Mini as I walked in the doors....
10% is practically nothing on smaller items.

Same in my city when they closed their store. 10% on Apple items.

I do miss CompUSA here from time to time when I need something right now as Best Buy does not have everything I need a lot of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i actually got my mac from compusa. They actually had a salesman there whose only job was to sell macs. The other sales people weren't allowed to sell apple computers.

I do like compusa. Their service department had always been good to me.

But now that I have moved to IL I live five min away from a tiger direct store and when I need anything I stop by there first

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
My dad used to work in corporate and we got 40% off everything. It was so nice. But they closed the 2 around here and there is still one 45mins away.

The customer service sucks, and it took forever to get through a line, but their service shop was really nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The deals are almost nonexistent. A price sheet was leaked and they're like almost all 10%, and 20% for crap you don't want anyway. When you consider their inflated prices to begin with, there's no deals to be had. You also have to consider the fact that if your product goes bad, you can't simply take it back since they're closing for good.

It's pretty sad really; a terrible store with bad pricing to the bitter end. If the company that bought them out wants to make anything at all, or at least unload all the crap they acquired, they better start lowering those "discounts".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's pretty sad really; a terrible store with bad pricing to the bitter end. If the company that bought them out wants to make anything at all, or at least unload all the crap they acquired, they better start lowering those "discounts".

I don't know if anyone bought them out or not. They were a privately help company owned by some family in Texas. That in itself explains why the were so lame. No shareholders or board demanding better performance.

Reaction score
CompUSA was actually owned by a single party, the richest man in Mexico if I believe. He ran it into the ground when he tried to compete against Best Buy and Circuit City with TV's and other home audio. Bunch of idiots in that place but mine was convenient to pop in and out of and prices were no better or worse than any other place around here. My current store has got all mac stuff except the computers on for 15% and the computers at 10%.

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
CompUSA was actually owned by a single party, the richest man in Mexico if I believe. He ran it into the ground when he tried to compete against Best Buy and Circuit City with TV's and other home audio. Bunch of idiots in that place but mine was convenient to pop in and out of and prices were no better or worse than any other place around here. My current store has got all mac stuff except the computers on for 15% and the computers at 10%.

Jason

Ya, you're right. His name is Carlos Slim Helu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Jason

I believe he is not just the richest man in Mexico, but now is the Richest man in the world.

Reaction score
All 3 closed here in the island

I live in Puerto Rico and all 3 CompUsa stores will be closing after this christmas season. I bought my MacBook Pro there and the guy who sold it to me was very helpful. I bought it on Nov. 2 and now they are closing. They said that my warranty will be honored because they serve other tech stores and I would have no problem. Let's see. By the way, does anyone now why Steve Jobs won't open an Apple store here in Puertro Rico?

Cheo

Reaction score
Top 10 richest people in the world according to Forbes 2007.

1. William Gates III
2. Warren Buffett
3. Lakshmi Mittal
4. Carlos Slim Helu
5. Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud
6. I ngvar Kamprad
7. Paul Allen
8. Karl Albrecht
9. Lawrence Ellison
10. S Robson Walton

By the way, does anyone now why Steve Jobs won't open an Apple store here in Puertro Rico?
Demographics?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Haven't heard about CompUSA closing here. We bought our iMac there about this time last year and I can say we haven't been back since except to return the wireless mouse because of their high price!

The sales person was NOT in the know about Mac's at all. He was just very anxious to make a sale. Wish I would have bought from our little local guys here rather than driving 45 minutes to CompUSA.

Why doesn't more people sell Mac's? Would be nice if Best Buy would carry a nice "big" line of Mac products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Boy! Things getting messed up here. Sorry for extra post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Mine is closing soon...
They are good for some specialty items that other stores might not have

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Mine have been closed for some time now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
The sales person was NOT in the know about Mac's at all. He was just very anxious to make a sale. Wish I would have bought from our little local guys here rather than driving 45 minutes to CompUSA.

Oh yeah, I tried to talk to one of their salespeople about the Mac one time. His comment: "Oh yeah, they're so difficult to get connected wirelessly."

My reply: "Um, are you familiar with the term 'airport'? That's what Apple called wifi when they invented it." Moron.

Their lack of knowledge (which to be fair is expected -- I mean really, if these guys actually knew anything about computers, they wouldn't be stuck at a minimum-wage job selling them) combined with high price; their downfall was inevitable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.