strange start up icon

Reaction score
I have a very new Macbook Pro, OS-X 10.4 and have had fun and games today... I must have selected a new start up mode accidently. I get this small world icon that flashes for 2 minutes before leaping into normal start up mode. How to I change the computer back to its original quick start up mode.
Any enlightenment gratefully recieved.

LWC

Reaction score
I'm new to the Mac world also but it sounds like it's trying to boot from the network.
Go to system preferences and select startup disk and make sure that your hard drive is selected.

M

MacHeadCase

Yep, LWC is right: the Mac is looking for a valid OS to boot from on a network. Hold down the option key, it should force your MBP to look everywhere else for its system. Once you gain access to your Mac, go to System Preferences -> Startup Disk (in the System section) and select Mac OS X, 10.4.x on Macintosh HD and you should be ok from now on.

If ever a game setting changed that, you will have to go through this each time you play that game: it seems to mess up the System Prefs for some odd reason.

Edited to add:

Oops! LWC added the same info in his post! Well you now have duplicate advice! Good luck! Let us know if all is well now! :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Ha! That was simple. Thankyou very much for that. I appreciate the quick replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.