Can iTunes be better?

Reaction score
I've got an MP3 library with almsost 11,000 songs and it's pretty cumbersome to manage but I'm making do with iTunes since I made the switch to a Mac recently. When using a Windows based PC, I had a couple of utilities that helped me manage my library by checking the ID tags, finding duplicates and, in general, doing some of the grunt work since I move lots of MP3 files back and forth.

Does anyone reading this forum have a suggestion for either stand alone or iTunes related programs that can help sort/organize/update/correct my music collection? I've searched the forum and while there are a few posts that are close to the answer, I didn't see any that were on topic for this question.

Many thanks,
Craig

Reaction score
I've got an MP3 library with almsost 11,000 songs and it's pretty cumbersome to manage but I'm making do with iTunes since I made the switch to a Mac recently. When using a Windows based PC, I had a couple of utilities that helped me manage my library by checking the ID tags, finding duplicates and, in general, doing some of the grunt work since I move lots of MP3 files back and forth.

Does anyone reading this forum have a suggestion for either stand alone or iTunes related programs that can help sort/organize/update/correct my music collection? I've searched the forum and while there are a few posts that are close to the answer, I didn't see any that were on topic for this question.

Many thanks,
Craig

mpfreaker works fairly well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I tunes will certainly find dupes. Not sure if that's exactly what you need though.

I use something called Ieatbrainz to tidy up tags etc. It's not perfect, but it'll tidy up 90% of the mess I make.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. While iTunes will find duplicates, it's very time consuming to select each one and then delete. Yesterday, I dumped a folder into my MP3 directory and it created over 500 duplicates. It's going to take me hours to select and delete all of them just to get to the few hundred non-duplicates. It's even tougher when some have higher bit-rates or better tags. I do appreciate the suggestions though!

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. While iTunes will find duplicates, it's very time consuming to select each one and then delete. Yesterday, I dumped a folder into my MP3 directory and it created over 500 duplicates. It's going to take me hours to select and delete all of them just to get to the few hundred non-duplicates. It's even tougher when some have higher bit-rates or better tags. I do appreciate the suggestions though!

One of the more boring aspects of iTunes. I do love it in many ways as it makes it possible to weed a needle (song) from a haystack when you have some key words to throw at it, but it does show some short comings when you have a couple of Mac's, or more to the point, a few HD's and limited OS drive space.. Apple should have sorted that out by now...

Rimmer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.