Looking for the right equipment combo

Reaction score
Although I am a bit of a novice, I am looking at setting up a small shop at home. While traveling, I want to know from you what combination of computer, camera and accessories you would put together for a "work station" on the road? I am looking at starting off 2008 the right way, no limit on my budget. Your thoughts?

Curveball

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What type of shop are you setting up and how are you planning to use your system on the road?

This would help in making a good suggestion, than just saying get this or get that.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hello Rman,
I was thinking of getting a laptop, camera and accessories altogether in a travel carrying case for when I travel to youth sporting events and disaster relief efforts. I know that's a weird combination of applications. I intend on doing some editing and capturing altogether while out there. Thank you for your thoughts.

Curveball

Reaction score
I would get a high-end Macbook (more portable) or the Macbook pro (dedicated graphics) if you have no budget. As for the camera I would go with either a Nikon D40 or Canon 400d/XTi (which i have) both good entry level DSLRs. Both are great quality and have a lot smaller body compared to more pro models. Iif you want to splash out more check out the recently released Canon 40D . A DSLR has much more benefits over a point and shoot particularly when you need to edit them (RAW format).
As for accessories i would get a good camera bag look for the Lowepro bags that also has a compartment for a laptop. I would also get camera armor which is cheap but will help protect your camera from knocks and bumps. If you will be away from a power source while shooting look at an extra battery or even a battery grip. Of if you want to go on to spend more i would look in to some lenses and select focal lengths that you will be needing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You can get P&S that shoot RAW file format or modify them to do that. If you get a DSLR, you'll need lenses. Just having the 18-55mm kit lens can be a big let down.

OP
C
Reaction score
Great info. Lot to search for now before next Tuesday. Thank you all for the input.

Reaction score
You can get P&S that shoot RAW file format or modify them to do that. If you get a DSLR, you'll need lenses. Just having the 18-55mm kit lens can be a big let down.

i think that a DSLR would be a better fit. the lenses are just a matter of future upgrades. an 18-55 is sufficient for alot of things, since 3x opticals on point and shoots are just a LITTLE closer than a 55m zoom (in my humble opinion).

i think that high end point-and-shoots also have aperture/shutter speed control, but if your going for that kind of shooting, you might as well go all the way with a DSLR

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.