• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

copy dvd to cd

N

nano

I have made a video for the manufacturing company where I work for product and company presentations. They now want copies to be sent to the sales force to use out in the field. None of the laptops (IBM Thinkpads) are equipped with DVD-Roms, only CD-Roms. I work on a Mac (the only one in the company), for I do all the graphics and marketing materials. I know there is software for PCs to rip and burn DVDs to CDs, but I am having a problem finding any software or ways to do this via a Mac. The video is only 7 minutes long. Can anyone help me figure this out?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you have the original material. Can you just create a quicktime movie and burn that to a PC compatible CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
This is a pretty long / complicated process. You can find tons of info at dvdrhelp.com and doom9.org.

Do you have any specific questions?

What format is the video in now, mpeg?

How do you want it to be for the CD-R's? Do you want a VideoCD or do you want it in some sort of media player format?

OP
N

nano

Emrys said:
This is a pretty long / complicated process. You can find tons of info at dvdrhelp.com and doom9.org.

Do you have any specific questions?

What format is the video in now, mpeg?

How do you want it to be for the CD-R's? Do you want a VideoCD or do you want it in some sort of media player format?

I would like to have VCDs that the sales reps can play on their laptops out in the field.
The format? Well, when the folder is opened on the desktop, it shows six locked files: VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.VOB, VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_0.VOB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Do you have the master video file? In order to make a DVD it has to be in Mpeg2 format. Then you use some sort of mastering program to split it up into the VIDEO_TS stuff. So if you have the master, you manipulate that, instead of having to rip the DVD. I usually use a Win2K box to make DVD/SVCD's so I don't have a lot of info for you other than the method / theory of it. I would check out dvdrhelp.com. They have a Mac section that is pretty nice, and there is a forum there as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.