Help me decide if it's worth it!

Reaction score
So still looking at a 24" iMac but starting to lose hope it will do all that I want it to...

This is what I primary want my computer to do:

1. Be able to be a PVR for my TV. Then run my recordings back onto my TV.
2. Be able to run my HDTV (as a second monitor) without a problem.
3. Able to download A LOT and store A LOT of content (music, movies, programs, etc)
4. Since the iMac is not upgradable, except for the RAM, it must be able to last for about 4 years.

Basically that's what I want to do but I have feeling that this is not all possible? Basically can the iMac be a Media Center hub like what I want from my next computer?

Thanks for the helping.....I'm losing hair trying to decide;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
3. get a terabyte external drive and youll save money
4. im sure it will

as for the first 2 i dont have a clue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
So still looking at a 24" iMac but starting to lose hope it will do all that I want it to...

This is what I primary want my computer to do:

1. Be able to be a PVR for my TV. Then run my recordings back onto my TV.
2. Be able to run my HDTV (as a second monitor) without a problem.
3. Able to download A LOT and store A LOT of content (music, movies, programs, etc)
4. Since the iMac is not upgradable, except for the RAM, it must be able to last for about 4 years.

Basically that's what I want to do but I have feeling that this is not all possible? Basically can the iMac be a Media Center hub like what I want from my next computer?

Thanks for the helping.....I'm losing hair trying to decide;D

1. There are a few USB dongle things for Mac that allow you to connect it to a cable source so using your Mac a PVR shouldn't be a problem.
2. Every new Mac with the exception of the Mac Mini will run a HDTV as a second monitor. (The mini only has one video out connection (it can run using an HDTV but you'd have to disconnect the monitor))
3. Just buy a big internal HD or go with a FW800 external HD.
4. iMacs from 4 years ago are still supported by Apple and can run Leopard. Get a middle to high end iMac and you will be fine.

OP
Airborneforest
Reaction score
That's right I have seen those USB TV Tuners in store. How do they work? Pretty good? Any software with them?

Anybody with experience in the downloading realm of things?

I'm going to wait for Mac World this Jan to see if they talk about iMac updates (especially video card). That will significantly help me out or lose me from getting a Mac. Pressure's on Mr Jobs!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's right I have seen those USB TV Tuners in store. How do they work? Pretty good? Any software with them?

Anybody with experience in the downloading realm of things?

I'm going to wait for Mac World this Jan to see if they talk about iMac updates (especially video card). That will significantly help me out or lose me from getting a Mac. Pressure's on Mr Jobs!:)

MythTV works on Mac. I've never tried to get it to work. I've never tried one of the USB tuner dongles with the software either. I've seen plenty of topics in these forums about the USB tuners. Or try google.

Do you mean like torrent downloading? It isn't any different than downloading stuff using a PC.

If you're truly on the fence, I wouldn't suggest a Mac if you've never used one. You're already sound like you're setting yourself up for a disappointment. Using a Mac isn't different than using a PC. The OS interface is different but that's about it.

OP
Airborneforest
Reaction score
I'm not setting myself up to be dissapointed just asking these questions as a precaution not to be dissapointed in my choice...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig
4. iMacs from 4 years ago are still supported by Apple and can run Leopard. Get a middle to high end iMac and you will be fine.

Errr you do know that there are only 4 imacs you can get?

So you're basically don't get the cheapest one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Errr you do know that there are only 4 imacs you can get?

So you're basically don't get the cheapest one.

There are hundreds of configurations. I would consider any of the 20" models a low end iMacs. That takes care of two of the 5 models. (There are two versions of the 2.8GHz iMac making 5 different iMacs....)

I should have said, don't get a 20", my bad....

Sorry to the person who tried to give me negative rep. Sorry it bothered you by not offering up enough advice. Have you offered advice btw Mr. Negative Rep?? (Next time, make your negative rep a little more coherent) Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.