Bitterly Disappointed with Apple Macs!!!!!

Reaction score
PLEASE NOTE:-

THIS WHOLE PROBLEM TURNED OUT TO BE A FAULTY STICK OF RAM I HAD INSTALLED TO TAKE THIS INTO ACCOUNT WHEN READING THIS THREAD.

IM AM QUITE SHOCKED BY HOW MUCH PANDEMONIUM CAN BE CAUSED BY ONE BAD RAM STICK ON A MAC EVEN THOUGH ONE STICK WAS FINE.
HOWEVER IT SEEMS THE OS IS VERY STABLE IF THERE ARE NO HARDWARE ISSUES WHICH IS IN CONTERYTO MY INITIAL POST BELOW.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very poor day today re Mac - Starting to wish I hadn’t switched. The main reason I switched was the ‘alleged’ Macs stability.

It all started when I turned on my mac today after everything was working fine last night. For some unbeknown reason the Macintosh HD had become corrupt. How exactly?? It was asleep all night with me??

After farting around for a few hours scouring the net for fixes and trial and error I admitted defeat I decided to phone Apple Care who went through fixing the error by using the Leopard disk that came with the computer. Another two hour episode I really could have done without less than a week of owning a mac. This was four hours out of my working day keeping in mind all I done last night was turn off my perfectly working Mac and then turn it on today. Doesn't inspirer confidence at all.

Ok, so maybes I could find it in my heart to forgive the above episode and a days loss of earnings as it has to go wrong sometime right? Maybes mine is just going wrong now to get it out of the way. Ok, positively I puff out my chest and look to trouble free computing. Tomorrow Ill catch up no probs.

Then tonight happened. Programs start shutting off for no reason. It started with MS Word Mac. I had typed an 8 paragraph letter and it just shut in an instant. You can imagine my annoyance!!!

On top of this Firefox now does the same and snaps shut without warning whenever it likes which is superb to say the least for a web designer all ready a day behind due to the applecare saga mentioned above.

Add to this twice tonight I have received a message telling me to press and hold the power button on my mac to restart as Mac OS x needs to be restarted. I other-words its crashed.

All in all I'm very unhappy. XP was more stable than this. This is a fact certainly in my case. I have been grinning from ear to ear since I got my mac and now a week in I totally regret it!

Signed:-

A thoroughly disappointed customer who is trying very hard to switch to Apple mac so much so spending a grand only a week ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
Kernal panic?

I think its faulty hardware it can happen to anyone.

If it was purchased a week ago it should be under warranty. take it to the store and demand a replacement and dont feel abashed to raise your voice and tell them how you lost work with "enthusiasm". When people looking to purchase a mac hear this they will doubt purchasing the hardware and the sales people will flip out and do whatever needed to accommodate you. :D

Thats just what I would do. I wouldnt stand for a new piece of hardware to function as so.

Reaction score
Your Mac is absolutely defective, send it back as soon as possible and demand a new one. I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with your first apple computer. Hopefully the replacement one will work perfectly. I know everyone here will agree with me when I say that an undamaged mac would never have these kinds of problems.

Reaction score
OSX is much more stable than Windows. You must have a dud no new machine should have this many errors and kernel panics. Best thing is to book it in and get it tested at your Local Apple store and they will assist you most probably by giving you a new machine there and then.
It's a shame that you have had a defective machine, as with all electronics there will be a small percentage of machines that are duds.
Let us know how you get one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your Mac is absolutely defective, send it back as soon as possible and demand a new one. I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with your first apple computer. Hopefully the replacement one will work perfectly. I know everyone here will agree with me when I say that an undamaged mac would never have these kinds of problems.

agreed.

Note that as great as a company can be theres no garuntee (im from texas hence the spelling) that everything that rolls off the assembly lin is perfect. Otherwise we wouldnt need warranties or apple care right?

Im terribly sorry for your frustration you just happen to be on of the unlucky(rare) people. The best of luck.

P.S. flailing arms when :Shouting: yelling DOES get your point across better :Evil:

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well Im back on my XP machine as Firefox wont load at all now.

I bought my Mac fro Apple direct so no shop to take it back too :?

If I send it back I suppose Ill be without a mac for a week or with it being Xmas post probs till Jan by the time they recive my mac and then process it and then send me a new one back out. Ill ring them and see what they say tomorrow.

You all say faulty hardware but it sounds like faulty unstable software to me. Mind I come from a PC background so not exac;lt sure how macs work but it cant be that different is it?

Reaction score
You could try a clean install of Leopard to help rule out any software issues. You can take the laptop to any Apple store or certified reseller.

OP
K
Reaction score
how do I try a clean install m8?

I can manage from inserting the disk but how to I reformat the mac?

Whatever do I will keep this thread updated. Ill start with a reformat -clean install first though with a hope of not having to send my mac off. Not sure re certified retailers in my area :Oops:

Reaction score
Backup anything you need to keep. Whack in the Leopard DVD restart your computer and hold down C, this will boot from the DVD. You should then be presented with a number of options, select erase and install. That is from memory however if it isnt right just post and ill what my Leopard DVD in and check the menus.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would start by running the Apple Hardware Test to rule out hardware issues.

Reinstalling the OS is premature, and usually not necessary - particularly in a situation where the machine is only a few weeks old.

I do agree with the other posters that this is highly unusual / abnormal. My bet would be a defective hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the screen asking to restart is kernal panic i believe.
thats 99.99% of the time hardware related.

anyone correct me if im wrong im still learning.

Keep us up to date friend.

Sorry you had to come into the family like this lol

OP
K
Reaction score
Pressing 'C' or 'D' do nothing and my mac boots normally from the HD??

I use the blue tooth keyboard if this has anything to do with it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pressing 'C' or 'D' do nothing and my mac boots normally from the HD??

I use the blue tooth keyboard if this has anything to do with it.

Turn the computer on, wait for the gray screen to appear. Immediately press and hold D to run the Apple Hardware Test. Do not release it until it starts.

OP
K
Reaction score
ok doing it now with my other hand - lol.

NOPE - still boots the mac HD

Just to fill you with confidence.

1 - I have the lepord disk in my drive
2 - I restart
3 - I press and keep pressed the D key
4 - Mac boots from HD

Reaction score
It's almost certainly a hardware issue, Mac OSX was made specifically for a narrow range of computers and so is a lot more stable than Windows.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok doing it now with my other hand - lol.

NOPE - still boots the mac HD

Just to fill you with confidence.

1 - I have the lepord disk in my drive
2 - I restart
3 - I press and keep pressed the D key
4 - Mac boots from HD

You should have the restore disc that the machine came with in the optical drive. If you were given a Leopard upgrade disc in addition to a system disc, make sure you use the system disc instead of the Leopard disc.

Press hold the option key this time. That should give the choice of which device to boot from, make sure you select the CD/DVD icon.

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry I was using the leopard disk - doh!

OK got the Hardware test working. It runs a quick or extended test. I opted for the quick as Im not sure how long Il have your attention for :Oops:

I get an error

4MEM/4/40000000: 515d09cc

What ever that is.

OP
K
Reaction score
Im guessing so m8 but only because it states 'MEM' in report line.

Also I upgraded the RAM yesterday but it ran fine all night??

Im still ot the hardware test and when I view the memory section Bank 1 has '\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/' after it but nothing to say if this is good or bad. Bank 0 has no such markings after it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.