Guides and Books on Leopard/OS X

Reaction score
I made the switch last March by buying a macbook. Since then I have bought a macbook pro and most recently a 24" iMac.

There is a lot I would like to learn about the OS itself (system configuration utilities, using the terminal, scripts and such.

What manuals (in ENGLISH please) would you recommend I start with to learn some of the basics?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
My apple store gifted me with this book recently "Mac OS X Leopard by Robin Williams". I don't really need it cause I know most of the stuff, but if it's basics that you want, then it's all there in that one. It's published by Peachpit press I think.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I second the Missing manual series.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The Missing Manual has been the book of choice for years now.
It always gets updated to keep up with the latest OS versions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Woah! 1 thread, three moderators!

Reaction score
From what I've seen, the Missing Manual is the one to get, and I still need to find a copy.

Yes, I can order from Amazon, but I have discount coupon for Borders I need to dig out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Btw, TUAW (www.tuaw.com) has carried an article on mac books. Be sure to check that out...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
You can see pretty good previews for the missing manual books at (I think it's) google.books or something. I saw the one for Tiger and it had a lot of preview pages and I did see that they had one for leopard already.

I have "visually learn" for Tiger, CS2 and Dreamweaver... Altho I can't say the tiger one told me much I didn't already know. For a beginners book I guess it's OK (I still think Que had the best manuals but I think they were only for PC and I don't think they exist anymore)

Good Luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.