• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sony Trv-33 And New Imac/imovie 2008 Not Playing Nice

Reaction score
What does it mean to have to get the video "queued"? I have a SONY TRV-33 camcorder-- made a DVD with it ONCE on a new sony vaio back when i got that laptop and the camcorder in 2003. so amazingly complex i never did it again. (but it worked-- i could download TAPE video to a PC)

BUT now with my brand new imac w/ imovie 2008 AND a new firewire cable, i get nothing. cant locate my camcorder user's manual (yet) but everything i read on the imovie help and various websites says it should be easy but it doesnt work. i click on import from camera and get the imac camera -- the option on that screen to switch to a different camera doesnt offer any other camera (like the sony i am looking for)

the camcorder does not show up on the desktop or in the system resources (?) where one website suggested it should

with a USB cable and the camera switched to "memory" the camera is recognized but only for the contents on the memory stick

with a new 6-4 pin firewire and the camera switched to "vcr" i get nothing but the words 'DVR IN" on the camcorder menu. no way to control the camera, etc. the camera is a DV camera for sure

CAN ANYONE HELP? its a bummer because it was not a cheap camera when i bought i new

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jan 08 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Core, 10GB Ram, 2.25TB, ATi Radeon 3870.
I would check the menu's on the camera in VCR mode and make sure that DV Output is turned on. Another test you can do is plug in your camera and turn it on "Camera" mode and the fire up iChat or an application that supports webcams and see if you can switch the camera input from the iMac cam to the Sony cam. That way you can see if the camera is talking to the PC.

Another issue could be your firewire cable (not likely but possible) or maybe your Firewire port on you cam may not be working correctly. Again, both longshots but possible. I'd try the cam on another computer if possible to test out those theories.

You could also try another cam on ur iMac and see if it works just to make sure iMovie is working correctly.

OP
N
Reaction score
I **REALLY** appreciate your words of advice. I will go and try all of those things tonight. have a great holiday, will let u know how it turns out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jan 08 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Core, 10GB Ram, 2.25TB, ATi Radeon 3870.
no problem, it's what we're here for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.