Format PC Hard Drive for Mac use

Reaction score
I have several hard drives from my old PC that I would like to use on my iMac as externals. I understand that the format on the Mac drive is different from the PC's. What format does the iMac use and how can I re-format my old PC drive for my new Mac? What software is best?

Reaction score
Standard Fat32 will work or you can format it to one of the Mac file systems using disk utility. However if you want to use the drive with windows and your iMac i would use Fat32 only limitation being that the maximum single file size is 4gb. Mac's can read and write to NTFS but you need 3rd party software in order to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Not an iMac issue. Moved to Other Hardware forum

Reaction score
My main HD is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) you can have OS Extended without journaling however i leave it on incase my computer randomly shuts down etc.
HFS+ is another format which is newer i believe however I'm not too sure on the workings of it.

Reaction score
Journaling helps protect the file system against things like hardware failures and power cuts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.