• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Aliens vs Predator: Requiem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
From what I have seen this movie looks really good... the Humans are in major trouble...
Being the nerd that I am they kind of messed up, the predator ship actually crash lands on the planet where you see the scientist explore in the original Alien movie....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Both of these franchises should have never gone past their first movie, IMO.

"Alien" was a great movie. Way ahead of its time with the effects and creature creation. H.R. Geiger's alien design is a work of art as far as I am concerned. Good story, but no need for it to continue.

"Predator" was okay. Again, some nice effects work with the cloaking device. It really didn't call for any continuation of the storyline by a sequel, though.

Some sequels are fine. They make a logical continuation of the story from the previous film (or at least attempt to most of the time). Dragging out a "cash cow" for movie after movie is a waste.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Some sequels are fine. They make a logical continuation of the story from the previous film (or at least attempt to most of the time). Dragging out a "cash cow" for movie after movie is a waste.
I definitely concur.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I personally found "Aliens," the first sequal, to be way better than the first one. Alien 3 I didn't really care for..

I'm a huge fan of these movies.. I mean, dont' get me wrong, I like them all, but Aliens was the best.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the Movie Company's are simply out of material... and are simply not re-inventing the wheel

Reaction score
Both of these franchises should have never gone past their first movie, IMO.

"Alien" was a great movie. Way ahead of its time with the effects and creature creation. H.R. Geiger's alien design is a work of art as far as I am concerned. Good story, but no need for it to continue.

"Predator" was okay. Again, some nice effects work with the cloaking device. It really didn't call for any continuation of the storyline by a sequel, though.

on principle I would have to disagree, while predator 2 was not a very good movie, the first one was excellent, especially that last half hour or so, and the sequel to alien, aliens, is a fantastic movie. Sure 3, and resurrection were not particularly great, but to say sequels are only logical if they continue the story of a previous films would be false, many successful, and well executed sequels break new ground, and take characters in new directions.
films like the good the bad and the ugly, Aliens, the wrath of Khan, from russia with love would never have been made
even films like raiders of the lost ark and a new hope a worlds apart from their sequels (and imagine having a single star wars)
No, i think AVP-R may not be the greatest idea, but if ridley scott or james cameron were to take on another alien film, that would be very good news

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I think the Movie Company's are simply out of material... and are simply not re-inventing the wheel
I don't know about anybody else, but I am tired of remakes of remakes. Or even taking a serious TV show and making it in to a comedy.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about anybody else, but I am tired of remakes of remakes. Or even taking a serious TV show and making it in to a comedy.

I agree... you have no idea how many remakes are in the works everything from Speed Racer to another King Kong... and lets not even mention the TV shows turned into Motion Pictures like I hear on the vine: Seinfeld, Sex in the City (in production), Gilligans Island, Threes Company (updated version) and many more...

So like I said before they are out of material and have been for a very longtime, they sit around hoping for a major real life disaster so they can turn it into a blockbuster,,,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook

You're not the only one. :)

I am tired of:

+ Video games being made into movies
+ Comic books being made into movies
+ TV shows being made into movies
+ Toy crazes from days past being made into movies
+ SNL skits being made into movies (that goes for SNL alumni in general as well... Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler, et al.... they are funny in the small doses that a skit provides. Dragging the same schtick out for 90 minutes is tedious)
+ Remakes (read: abominations of classic and/or otherwise decent films...just because the technology is there, it doesn't mean you need to "retell" the story with updated effects)
+ Pointless sequels/prequels (things like Star Wars and LOTR are okay because it is an epic tale. The movies are cohesive and all convey a continuing/common storyline. They may not all be "good", but at least they do help make the other movie's story make sense)

There is plenty more wrong with Hollywood's cinematic diarrhea, but these are some of the biggest offenders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Here is a website showing the 2008 Release Schedule

http://www.firstshowing.net/schedule2008/

That list shows "One Missed Call" as a pending release and it just made me think of yet another overdone "trick" in Hollywood...

+ Stop making "Americanized" versions of Japanese/Asian movies.

The Ring (Ringu), The Grudge (Ju-On), Oldboy, Pulse (Kairo), The Lake House (Siworae)....etc, etc, etc.

Stop ripping off other movies, Hollywood..... please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I heard there may be a new X-Files movie, but I hope it never makes it into production. I was a huge fan of the show and the first movie fit into the story line, but making a movie after so long and making it a standalone from the original plot is just ridiculous. They shouldn't even call it X-Files.

I guess Pedigree isn't paying David Duchovny enough for his voiceover work and Gillian Anderson's british film career isn't taking off quite like she had hoped, so it's time to cash in on the old favorite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I heard there may be a new X-Files movie, but I hope it never makes it into production. I was a huge fan of the show and the first movie fit into the story line, but making a movie after so long and making it a standalone from the original plot is just ridiculous. They shouldn't even call it X-Files.

I guess Pedigree isn't paying David Duchovny enough for his voiceover work and Gillian Anderson's british film career isn't taking off quite like she had hoped, so it's time to cash in on the old favorite.
Unfortunately, the production has already begun.
It was supposed to have started in late 2004/early 2005, but it was halted by some legal case brought up by Chris Carter against FOX.

So yeah... it is coming out. :/

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem

This movie looks like it will have alot of good action and special effects but something tells me its going to suck... what do all of you think?

Im attaching a pic of the new Predalien looks kind of sick but will he have the ability to wield weapons LOL

predalien.jpg

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I can say is I saw this dribble and its possible the stupidest movie..... another example of how all a studio needs is a good title to make money.... shame on you for creating this garbage...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
All I can say is I saw this dribble and its possible the stupidest movie..... another example of how all a studio needs is a good title to make money.... shame on you for creating this garbage...

There are far worse movies that have been made. Spiderman 3 for example. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I enjoyed Spiderman 3 way more....

Spiderman 3 was ruined for me when they intro'd emo Peter Parker not to mention casting Topher Grace as Eddie Brock. :(

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spiderman 3 was ruined for me when they intro'd emo Peter Parker not to mention casting Topher Grace as Eddie Brock. :(

Mary jane singing scenes did it for me LOL what crap

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.