iMac 24, Leopard and OS X Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, Intel 2.4 Core 2 duo, 3gb RAM
Hi all,

Have my new 24" iMac and all seems to be well (albeit with a small hitch with the CD/DVD ROM feeding on disks and not wanting to give them back)

Anyway, this is my first venture into the mac world and my question is about software compatability. I have some mac software that says it's for OS X and either it won't install or it does install but it won't run. Obviously this is an issue for the Software vendor but my question is, how often does Apple change the OS such that old software doesn't install/run?

Cheers

David

PS: Is there a hardware option to eject a CD/DVD like on a windos machine or is it software only?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
as for the disks - apple seems to have introduced a delay feature to the eject button, just hold down eject for longer to eject the disk

as for software not installing, first repair the disk permissions using Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

after all that - try listing any software on here and people will be able to help you out

OP
higginsdj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trouble is that doesn't seem to solve the problem for discs that don't mount and don't auto eject. How does one get to those?

Cheers

David

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my disks not ejecting.. This is how to eject them when the eject key will not do it. Choose Apple menu>Restart and hold down the mouse or trackpad button until the disc ejects. You can find these instructions in the help menu under E then ejecting. Hope this helps

OP
higginsdj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks gumdrop - I'll give that a try. It seems to happen more often when I have Parallels enabled and coherence not turned on.

Cheers

David

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.