• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Digital Converter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
Im looking to transfer some old VHSc tapes to my IMAC so I can create some home movies on DVD... I have been looking at the local stores for one and I only saw 2:

Apple sells one
Canopus ADVC-110 Advanced Digital Video Converter

El Gato Sells the
EyeTV 250

Can someone give me some advice, I still have to spend money on a VHS, and my funds are limited

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
Not sure of the price on teh Canopus, but for about 100 - 140 you can get a little machine called the Neuros MPEG-4 Converter.

You hook up anything to it through RCA Yellow, Red, White, and play into it, and record with it, and it generates the analog video and audio into digital mp4 format video and audio.

It uses SD memory cards, and on the highest quality, which is more than good enough for VHS, it can do about 1 hr 10 min on 1 GB card. I use a 2GB card and switch back and forth while I transfer the video off the 1 GB to the mac and so on.

Just a suggestion.

Brian

Reaction score
Vhs to DVD

I went to the mac store and bought a Pinnacle DV Bridge. Just connect your VCR via RCA or Svideo to the bridge and then connect the firewire to your mac. That's it! imovies will recoginze it and for the most part it will work the same as a mini dv camcorder

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I went to the mac store and bought a Pinnacle DV Bridge. Just connect your VCR via RCA or Svideo to the bridge and then connect the firewire to your mac. That's it! imovies will recoginze it and for the most part it will work the same as a mini dv camcorder

I went to the MAC store and bought the Canopus ADVC 110 and it works great I have almost done all of our childrens movies... let me say that the combo of imovie and idvd is pretty sweet so user friendly I was really impressed...

I originally went to Bestbuy looking for a converter and the great minds of geek squad werent sure if the Pinnacle would work with MAC becuase it only says Windows... LOL

Reaction score
Elgato EyeTV Hybrid

I recently picked up the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid. It's about $50 less than the EyeTV 250 (so, about $200 CDN). But it does the trick. Dazzle for Mac may also be another alternative, but I've heard some bad things about the PC version, so I didn't bother.

Graegaud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jan 08 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Core, 10GB Ram, 2.25TB, ATi Radeon 3870.
I went to the MAC store and bought the Canopus ADVC 110 and it works great I have almost done all of our childrens movies... let me say that the combo of imovie and idvd is pretty sweet so user friendly I was really impressed...

I originally went to Bestbuy looking for a converter and the great minds of geek squad werent sure if the Pinnacle would work with MAC becuase it only says Windows... LOL

Lol I used to work for them. They have no training in Apple products (aside from iPods) for in-store guys. I was the only one who knew anything about Apple products but then again, I only had to work on 2 in 9months.

I have the Pinnacle DV bridge and it works great for transferring all my old Hi-8 or any analog stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.