Transferring cassettes into iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
Anyone have any software recommendations? I have a very nice Sony ES cassette deck and I used to use N-Track Studio on my PC to transfer cassettes into wav. files to make cd's. How would I do this on a mac? What program(s) might I use? I have a lot of material languishing on tape that I would love to get into iTunes.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The best way without using any third party apps is to use Garageband. Just open Garageband, make sure it's reading the Line-in of the Mac instead of the microphone, and record. When you are done, just slice it up, and "Share > Sent to iTunes".

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
The best way without using any third party apps is to use Garageband. Just open Garageband, make sure it's reading the Line-in of the Mac instead of the microphone, and record. When you are done, just slice it up, and "Share > Sent to iTunes".

Wow, so it's that easy? Just line out of my tape deck and line in to Garageband? Awesome. I'll have to give this a try!! Thanks.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.16ghz
Help!

Ok, so I've pretty much figured out garageband but now I'm getting weird error messages. First, I've recorded about ten songs into iTunes so far without problem just for practice and to make some fine tunings to the settings. Now that I'm ready and have recorded my first song off a cassette, when I go to share with iTunes I get this message:

"error -38 from Core Audio Driver"

??

So I backed out of garageband and attempted to reopen. That's when I got this error:

Audio File "No Effects#11.aif" not found!

I'm given the option to skip or search in the error box. When I clicked search nothing happened. So I restarted my mac but when I attempted to open garageband again I got the same error.

Any idea what is going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
How about you try using the recording function with something like Quicktime player or some other audio recorder. Just to see if something is wrong with Garageband or the whole Core Audio system. To record with quicktime, you have to go to system preferences > sound, and change the audio source to Line-in. Then go to quicktime and select "New Audio Recording". I think you will need the pro version for this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.