I'm missing something obvious I know ... fractions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz iMac with 3GB RAM
Or more accurately, how do I write them?

I've been looking in vain for a character map equivalent ... I just want to write 1/2, 1/4 etc neatly in my recipe folder!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You need the Character Palette

Go to  > System Preferences > International

Open International. Click on the Input Menu tab. Tick the box next to Character Palette. Close those preferences boxes.

Now you will see a flag in the top right of the menu bar You can access the character palette from the flag

Fractions are in the Digits section of the character palette, if you have your cursor in the correct part of the recipe, switch to the character palette and double click the fraction you want - it should insert that fraction character in your recipe

OP
Pewari
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz iMac with 3GB RAM
Fantastic, thank you so much :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Open International. Click on the Input Menu tab. Tick the box next to Character Palette. Close those preferences boxes.

Now you will see a flag in the top right of the menu bar You can access the character palette from the flag

Fractions are in the Digits section of the character palette, if you have your cursor in the correct part of the recipe, switch to the character palette and double click the fraction you want - it should insert that fraction character in your recipe

That was cool, never got around to looking for them, but this is very useful. Cheers my friend.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You can also get to the character map through Edit -> "Special character..." on some programs. IE Firefox, textedit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
Awesome man .... this is much better than Windows ... going to Start>Accessories>System Tools> Character map

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.