Time Machine and Backup 3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
just upgraded my macbook to leopard and have started using my iomega 120MB portable drive for Time Machine. it was the drive i used for Backup 3.

should i get another drive and continue to use Backup 3? or is a full disaster recovering provided by Time Machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
If you boot from the Leopard DVD, while installing you get an option to restore the computer using a Time Machine drive. So unless you want a bootable backup, you can safely restore your entire drive using Time Machine.

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
If you boot from the Leopard DVD, while installing you get an option to restore the computer using a Time Machine drive. So unless you want a bootable backup, you can safely restore your entire drive using Time Machine.

what about the more likely scenario that i am not using the leopard dvd to restore?

it is more likely my macbook is lost and i have bought a new one where leopard is pre-installed. how will i restore using 'time machine' then.

its not clear on the apple support site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
if you buy a new mac it will come with the leopard DVD...

OP
joyseeker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
backup 3 does not need a DVD.

think i'll order an Iomega MiniMax 360GB USB2 + Built in Hub for Time Machine and the Hub promises wireless freedom round the house.

i'll return my current external drive to 'backup 3'.

i'll post how i get on over xmas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.