Sound issues in Boot Camp to Windows on a new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz iMac with 3GB RAM
Hi guys - great forum, I'm learning so much just by lurking and getting the daily thread subscription.

I'm loving my iMac (bought just as Leopard came out) but I do have one minor niggle, and I wonder if I'm just missing something obvious to sort it out.

I've got boot camp set up with Windows XP. When I'm in it, the sound quality is very poor with lots of noise and distorted sound. This goes away when I put headphones in the jack and listen through there. However, in MacOSX I have no sound problems and I haven't noticed any when using the VMware Fusion route into Windows either (although to be fair, I can't run the games in question via Fusion so it might be there and just not noticed).

I'm guessing from that, that it's not a hardware issue but a windows driver issue, but I'm reluctant to mess around with the drivers without really knowing what I'm doing in case I majorly botch something up. Have I diagnosed correctly, is there a solution now, or is it a case of wait and hope that a systems update will fix the drivers in the near future?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
you need to update the sound card drivers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5
Did you pull the updates from Apples website, or were they on the Windows Update site? Having the same issue with my Mac Pro

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got them from the realtek site. Heres the LINK

OP
Pewari
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz iMac with 3GB RAM
Thank you :) Was previously wary of getting the drivers as I did wonder if they had to be Apple specific and if I was going to break anything in the process.

The latest Realtek ones (1.83) seem to have removed the hiss, but the sound still seems fairly poor quality (almost slightly muffled and flat as if you were listening to it through glass or something). Is this as good as it gets on Windows? Or is it a case of tweaking the equaliser somehow (and is there an ideal setting to put that on?). I find that it's really loud too so have to have the master volume on windows down really low otherwise I get deafened by the windows startup jingle!

Such a shame, because the sound is so *good* on the Mac side! Still, just another incentive to get as many OS X versions of software as possible, I guess!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bring up the realtek HD audio EQ and choose ROCK as the preset.

OP
Pewari
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz iMac with 3GB RAM
That's improved it a bit, thanks :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.