I'm beginning to think Time Machine is garbage

Reaction score
It's performance has slowly gotten worse and worse. It hasn't completed a backup in over a month. It's now been trying to run a back up for about an hour and has complete 26k of 43.21Gb.

What the heck can I do with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
are you using an external drive?

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a 500Gb Western Digital Book something or other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
crap i dont know then my aunt had that problem unitl she got a E/D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What format is the hard drive in? I believe you need HFS+ for it to work properly, so if you're on FAT32, that could possibly be why it's not working.

If it IS HFS+, then you might want to try formatting the drive and starting over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Good point Kash. Time Machine appears to be working fine for me, although I have not needed to find a lost file yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Mine has been bullet proof. And saved my hide a few times already.

Reaction score
mine is extremely fast, and backs up without me even knowing it (except for hearing my external hard drive rev up) haha. i feel no lack of computer performance while it is revving up either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD; 16Gb iPhone (white); Aluminium MacBook, 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 500 Gb HDD
Agree - to date (1 month) I am very happy with the way Time Machine performs. Back-ups are done seamlessly and virtually without me noticing. Very quick with Firewire!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reigns surpeme
Only thing that i would like to see is a choice from daily, weekly , or monthly. Instead of hourly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Only thing that i would like to see is a choice from daily, weekly , or monthly. Instead of hourly.

You can change that. I have mine set to every 6 hours.

Like so in terminal:
$ sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.backupd-auto StartInterval -int 7200

That will run it every 2 hours (7200 seconds).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ~ 160 GB HD ~ 15" Glossy LED Screen
Mine has been bullet proof. And saved my hide a few times already.

Same here! No problems at all with mine. I've needed to use it a few times myself. I love it!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Only complaint is that I would like to have an "advanced" mode - I want to be able to plug the drive in, say "backup now" and unplug it when it's done and go... now, I have to wait until it's good and ready. I know they want it to be very simple to use, but would it really hurt them to add an "advanced settings" button so that the power users among us could have a little more control.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
"I want to be able to plug the drive in, say "backup now" and unplug it when it's done and go..."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you can. Plug it in, wait for the drive to mount in Finder, right click on the Time Machine Icon and choose Backup Now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ~ 160 GB HD ~ 15" Glossy LED Screen

That would kind of defeat the purpose of Time Machine then. It would be just like any other backup program out there already. The point of Time Machine is to do all of the work for you so you never have to worry about backing up your stuff.

I know there are a lot of files that I would've already deleted by the time it got around to the next weekly update. Then those files would be lost forever if it didn't catch one of the backups times.

A question about system performance though. Wouldn't it slow your system down more, at least while backing up, if you were to set it not to back up as often? When it's done every couple hours it just pretty much does a quick scan to see if there has been any changes or additions. Right? Especially if you were doing it monthly it would be like when you first set up Time Machine and it took a good while to back everything up for the first time.

Maybe I just don't notice a performance decrease because I'm on a newer MBP. Maybe it's slower for users of older Mac's??? Anyways just my thoughts. I know they're probably not worth much HAHA.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
"I want to be able to plug the drive in, say "backup now" and unplug it when it's done and go..."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you can. Plug it in, wait for the drive to mount in Finder, right click on the Time Machine Icon and choose Backup Now.

Are you serious? Somehow I missed that, having convinced myself that it wasn't possible when I was digging around in System Preferences - I guess it pays to RTFM :Oops:

Anyway, thank you!

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
It's gotten better, I think I was having some left over issues from the faulty MBP that I returned.

I will say that I have found when I am working and Time Machine is backing up it will regularly make all the programs I am running crap out and no longer respond, and stop responding itself. It's so bad that I don't plug in the external drive while I'm working, because to get it working again I have to power down the machine by holding down the power button, and leave it off for a few minutes.

Aside from that I have used it several times to back up files and can't imagine life without it now. I just plug it in when I'm done for the day now instead of while I work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I just started using Time Machine two days ago, so I have no idea whether it actually works for me or not. I'm gonna give it a couple more weeks to decide whether to keep my external drive for Time Machine or just do manual backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.