• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Upset with apple...

Reaction score
I purchased a dual g5 in mid 04 and was told it was the wave of the future for computing etc and the price reflected it, over $3,000. Being a graphic designer I have only purchased apple products over the years, but now I feel apple has turned their back on g5 users. I think they forgot who their base was, offering new idiosyncrasies such as bootcamp to appeal to those who want to post videos of them playing PC games on a mac for publicity. In work related issues, ms office files were compatible before and are still compatible without bootcamp. The only time I have ever needed the use of a PC was to author an interactive dvd in macromedia director that required both licenses. Now there are multiple apple applications out there that require the use of an intel mac, which is ridiculous. Makes me upset that I put so much work into this computer, will the 8 gigs of ram i purchased be compatible with an intel mac, howabout the video card upgrades which I have made? The g5 came stock with a nvidia 5200, at the time it was a crap card which was also a slap in the face I doubt my upgrades will be compatible with an intel motherboard. I know that technology keeps on moving, its inevitable and i am not denying that. I am stating that once apple signed on with intel they sold out and left their customer base in the dust. Now if I had known the intel mac was eventually coming out and would make all previous apple products obsolete I would have held off on the purchases I had made, again this wasn't the case. The least they could have done was announce R&D prior to the release of their new product. Sorry if this seems like a rant, there are just more and more things I seem to not be able to do with this computer. It makes me think that when the next OS comes out that it will require an intel based processor to run it, they already seem to be heading in that direction with tiger...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Don't sweat it man, your computer is 3 years old now and it is still fast. If you mean they are heading in a certain direction with Leopard I would say you are misinformed. The PPC architecture is 64 bit, and leopard boasts its 64-bit support to the teeth. I was so excited when I heard that my computer would actually get FASTER when I upgraded to a more feature filled OS in leopard.

I own a Powerbook G4 which is much slower than your G5 and it only has one processor. I hardly see any slow down when I do photo editing. The only thing that really slows it down is video editing. So if that is what your are doing, and you are a serious video editor, then you would probably know that you are going to have to accept the fact that every 2 years you are going to have to purchase the top of the line computer just because that is the nature of the game.

You can't be upset at Apple for going to Intel, you should be at least optimistic. A lot of support is out there for Intel, because people like intel. So the new programs that come out for Windows and such, should be able to come out for apple now. Now we, apple users, can hope to finally be on par as far as software compatibility goes.

Try to look on the bright side. I am sure you can see a lot of positives with the way Apple is going. They haven't forgotten about us PPC lovers though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Being a graphic designer, I'm sure you'll understand that is completely unreadable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
I Now there are multiple apple applications out there that require the use of an intel mac, which is ridiculous.

Which of Apple's applications, other than Boot Camp which you have no use for, require an Intel Mac?

Now if I had known the intel mac was eventually coming out and would make all previous apple products obsolete I would have held off on the purchases I had made, again this wasn't the case...The least they could have done was announce R&D prior to the release of their new product.

You expected Apple to announce that they were switching to Intel processors 1 full year before the official announcement, and 2 full years before the successor to you PowerMac was released? I doubt you would have waited.

As for 10.6 not supporting PowerPC machines, it's anybody's guess. But judging by the fact that Leopard supports all the way back to sub-GHz G4s, I'd say a dual-G5 has a good chance of being supported.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, 3.5 years in computer technology is like 35 years of regular time. :)
Technology advances and machines improve. However, I think it is a bit extreme to be as upset about it as you seem to be over this.
Now if I had known the intel mac was eventually coming out and would make all previous apple products obsolete I would have held off on the purchases I had made, again this wasn't the case. The least they could have done was announce R&D prior to the release of their new product.
The term 'obsolete' gets thrown around quite a bit, and it is rarely used in the context of its actual meaning. If you are still using it, then it is not obsolete. I use a G4 PowerBook for graphic design and I haven't been slowed down yet. Nor do I feel left out of anything. I run CS2 and CS3 suites with no issues at all. I also do a bit of broadcast work and use FCP and After Effects, again with no problems.
I really can't think of any software that I use that isn't both PPC and Intel compatible.
Expecting a company to reveal its R&D on products yet to be released is a bit of wishful thinking, too. When you bought a machine three and a half years ago, what good would it have done Apple to announce that they were thinking about changing to Intel processors? Not a bit of good. Sales would plummet because people would join the endless waiters and wouldn't buy anything until the new machines came out. To be fair, they did announce their R&D before the release at a convention. Sure it was only a few months prior, but they did announce it prior to the machines being available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yea, paragraphs help the eyes bro.

The first Intel Mac was introduced in January 2006. The first Mac Pro desktop wasn't released till August 2006. Apple cannot predict the future. I could see you complaint if you purchased a Dual or Quad from January 06 to August 06 when Apple was releasing Intel based Macs but not high end machines but your complaint is sort of ridiculous.
I am not going to complain if Apple released a Penryn based Mac Pro in January that's 20% faster with a far superior video card that cripples my 7300GT. I'll have only owned my Mac Pro for 3 months come January.
A Dual 2.0GHz from 2004 will sell for about $900 on eBay. That's 1/3 of what it cost when you bought it. It now performs at 1/3 of the speed the current Mac Pro 2.66GHz performs at and it costs $2499. If you're 3 year old isn't performing today's tasks, you have to upgrade.
So, if Apple had mentioned they were switching to Intel before you bought your computer, you would have waited 2 years to purchase a Mac Pro? That's what it sounds like you're saying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being a graphic designer, I'm sure you'll understand that is completely unreadable.

Should have broken up my paragraphs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should have broken up my paragraphs.

Fair enough.

Not that I'm particularly being a flamer, but why are you saying this now - How long did you expect your G5 to be cutting edge for? I think most people would agree that 3+ years isn't a bad useful lifespan for a computer, and you've had that already. You'll get at least another year from it before any of this could possibly be an issue.

If you'd bought a PC instead of a Mac, you'd be in the same position. The PCs I was buying in 2004 won't run Vista properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There, I fixed my post. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What a first post... Starts a tear jerking pity party and leaves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so now I'm getting the posts confused.

This thread is making me laugh now.

Reaction score
Just use your G5 to its fullest, make some money with it and kiss it goodbye when the new Septuplet Core Intel Xeonus Maximus comes out a few years down the road.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What a first post... Starts a tear jerking pity party and leaves.

Well, come on guys. No pity around here. I think computer manufacturers should do like the car manufacturers. Make one model, sell the exact same one for 5 years at a time before they come out with a new one. At least then you'd know where you were in relation to the next model coming out.

Just think, without all of these technology advancements and stuff, we could just now be using Win 3.1 machines and 80 MB hard drives. Maybe even our Commodore 64's would still be worth something. We could still be happy with those CRT's instead of this newfangled Hi-Def stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so now I'm getting the posts confused.

This thread is making me laugh now.

There are too many weird J user names replying to this thread. Or too many off topic posting.... (Don't blame me!!) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, come on guys. No pity around here. I think computer manufacturers should do like the car manufacturers. Make one model, sell the exact same one for 5 years at a time before they come out with a new one. At least then you'd know where you were in relation to the next model coming out.

Just think, without all of these technology advancements and stuff, we could just now be using Win 3.1 machines and 80 MB hard drives. Maybe even our Commodore 64's would still be worth something. We could still be happy with those CRT's instead of this newfangled Hi-Def stuff.

I was being sarcastic. His complaint is a joke at best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.