Can anyone explain this Retail/Restore disk stuff?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
As I understood it, the grey restore disks were machine specific, ie if it said "G5 PowerMac" on the disk, it would restore a G5 PowerMac. On the other hand, a black disk with a silver cross would restore or install to ANY machine as long as the specs were OK.
So how come I bought some disks on eBay last week (auction number #160185963561) which seemed to be the Retail, black version but turned out to be grey disks specific to an eMac which faultlessly loaded Panther on my G3 Blue and White PowerMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
old blue imac with mac osx 10.3.9
this is my guess,
remember its a guess but i think emac is panther so it installed panther on there since it was a false advertised disk or it was a wrong disk just a guess

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi Guys,
As I understood it, the grey restore disks were machine specific, ie if it said "G5 PowerMac" on the disk, it would restore a G5 PowerMac. On the other hand, a black disk with a silver cross would restore or install to ANY machine as long as the specs were OK.
So how come I bought some disks on eBay last week (auction number #160185963561) which seemed to be the Retail, black version but turned out to be grey disks specific to an eMac which faultlessly loaded Panther on my G3 Blue and White PowerMac?

Just a guess, but I would venture to say that the hardware is similar enough between the two machines that it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
First off, you got duped into paying a lot more than you should have. Not to mention that the discs you purchased were never intended to be sold on their own.
This is why I generally stay away from ebay.

Secondly, the discs for eMacs are the only ones that have ever worked in other machines. The reason I was given by someone once, was since the eMac was really intended for schools, the discs were "unlocked" so they could be used on any machine in the school, regardless of form factor. I guess it was supposed to make it easier for the school's IT guys to take care of things. I don't know the validity of this reasoning, but I do know that the eMac discs were the only ones to work in other machines. This did eventually change and not all of the eMac models' discs work that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.