Tips for iPhoto/General Photo Management?

Reaction score
I dont get the photo management of OS X. I just see a long chain of folders named numerically before I hit the actual photo. Are there any tips anyone can give me? Or are the settings wrong?

All help appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yeah - just use iPhoto. There's no need to use Finder to look through your photos. iPhoto does photo management very well - take advantage of it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
The best way to corrupt your photos and/or lose them is to do anything to/with them in the finder. Stay out of that folder -- access your photos from within the iPhoto app! Organize, name, move, etc. all from within the app and you will be fine. Forget the library in finder exists and you and your photos will be much happier!

In anticipation of the next question -- if you want to upload a photo to, say, facebook, export it from within the app to your desktop and upload from there. You can also drag a photo to the desktop and upload from there.

There is NEVER a need to go into the library in finder. Anything you need to do can be done from within the app itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Personaly I have never got on with Photo managment/archiving software As i swap from different operating systems all the time and I find it a pain to back up.

I just save all my images in a simple folder structure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Even if you swap from different operating systems, you can still manage your photos with iPhoto. It keeps thing neatly organised. Whenever you need to copy something, just copy it through the iPhoto interface.

And now with Leopard, the File > Open dialog boxes in most applications have the "Media" tab giving your direct access to your photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I agree... the more I use iPhoto the more I'm becoming more comfortable with it and so much easier than it looks...

Play with it.... it's worth it

OP
J
Reaction score
It gets hard to find my photos because it gets organized in "rolls" or dates, and having to find them all and organize them is a pain. I'll give it another shot for a day or two. Also, thanks skybolt for the extra facebook tip. I'll post in here if I have any further questions, that is, if you guys are nice enough to help me out. Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
yeah that used to bug me too but I got into the habit of after downloading them, then organizing them by Event... or just renaming the new "roll" right away. Saves heaps of time later down the road.
What version of iPhoto do you have?

OP
J
Reaction score
I have 08, its a pretty big change from 05, and it threw me off. Granted, I never used a photo app on Windows, but than again, I never had to. Explorer worked fine as it was for simple photo browsing.

When I bought a mac and tried out iphoto, I was frustrated over and over. Trying to find tips online never really gave me the answers I needed. Should've asked before. One more question, I noticed that when I click on my .gifs, they dont automatically play. Instead, iPhoto (or Preview), separates the layers. Is there anyway to open them and have them automatically play? Or better yet, have the picture icons actually play the .gifs without opening them (like in windows)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can drag GIFs into the safari dock icon, or install this amazing app for quick photo viewing, Xee....

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation, and for all the help, goobi.

So with OSX, there is no way for Finder (or iPhoto) to automatically "play" the gif on its own, without Safari? Also, it can't preview the .gif within the icon?

Does Xee do these things? Is it a replacement for iPhoto, or compliments it?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Xee is not a replacement for iPhoto. It could be a replacement for Preview if it suits your needs.

As for playing gifs within the finder, I'm not sure. Maybe there will be a quicklook plugin of some kind soon, but till then I don't think so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.