How do you add a folder to your dock?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I can't figure it out. I am using tiger, if I try and add my home or a folder contained within it deletes it. Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yep. Even though Leopard did have the functionality of putting stacks in between the rest of the apps, that functionality is gone now.

@vaughn: You can't drag a virtual alias, the ones in the finder sidebar onto the dock. You will just get a Poof! when you do that. You have to drag the real icon, that is, the ones in the contents part (right side of finder window).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
So how would you add a stack of apps? I mean, I'd like to group apps like CS2 apps, M$ apps, iLife apps as stacks instead of having them clustered in my dock.

Is it possible to make an alias of them and create a folder? or do they have to be the original icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. You have to make aliases of all the apps that you want in a single stack, put them in a folder, and dump them in the right side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Yep. You have to make aliases of all the apps that you want in a single stack, put them in a folder, and dump them in the right side.

Sweet! Thanks.... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
Yep. Even though Leopard did have the functionality of putting stacks in between the rest of the apps, that functionality is gone now.

@vaughn: You can't drag a virtual alias, the ones in the finder sidebar onto the dock. You will just get a Poof! when you do that. You have to drag the real icon, that is, the ones in the contents part (right side of finder window).

So for example, I can't drag the "music" icon to the dock, If i wanted to do that, I would have to open up the music folder and place the items inside on the dock?

Reaction score
no, you can have the music folder in the dock, what he was saying is that you can't drag the music icon from the finder sidebar to the dock, you need to find the original folder on your harddrive (users/music) and drag that one to the Dock. If you try to drag it off the Finder sidebar, it will just remove the icon from the sidebar (that icon is an alias leading to the original folder, it is not the folder itself)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You see, the finder is divided into two parts. The left side is defaulted with Applications, Documents, Music, Movies and Pictures. You can't move those icons anywhere cause they are Virtual aliases. They don't exist as files.

To drag something in the dock, you need to drag something from the right side. So if you want your Music folder to go into the dock, your most basic method would be to go to the "Home" folder, and then drag "Music" from there. Alternatively, you can click on Music folder in the left sidebar, and in the title bar, there will be a small little icon. That is a live icon. Just drag that down into the dock and it will create a stack.

Btw, that icon is there in a lot of other apps as well. So if you want to save your MS Word document onto an external drive, just drag that icon from the word title bar onto the external drive and it copies it there..:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.