Garageband for Dummies...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
B/c that is what I am I guess.

I was messing around with the loops last night of the pre-installed beats..etc....
and there has to be an easier way. When I drag the loops into the track, they don't always go into the track.

And then I have the tracks layering upon each other...meaning that when I drag the loops instead of each track showing, it combines them and I can't move what I want to move.

Is there a Help for Dummies like me? I tried to use the Help built in to Garage Band, but some of it doesn't make sense to me. It sucks b/c I know this program is easy, but for some reason it's not clicking with me. I have used other recording software and had no issues....but.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac PowerPc G4 1.25 GHZ Processor, 1Gb Ram
hey guy, I think I may be able to help you out a little.
when your playing with the pre-installed loops you need to remember there are two different formats.
the green ones are midi files. Midi files are great because you can open them with the editor and change what ever you want to change... for example, the loop is flowing great at first, then hits a note or two that are a little sour, open it in the editor (the scissors on the lower left) and either erase the note, or move to a note that sounds better.
you can drag midi files (the green ones) to a basic track or to software track. if you drag it to a basic track you WILL NOT be able to edit it nearly as much.

The blue ones are basic music files and will only drag into a basic track.

To change the instrument in a software track just select the track, open info, and choose what you would like the instrument to be. you can also play with effects and such here for basic or midi tracks.
keep in mind that you can apply WAYYYYY more effects to a basic track then a midi track

i hope this helps
any more questions please dont hesitate to ask
im always happy to help

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
Great thanks!

I found the manual for it on Apple's website, so hopefully I can get some things done that I have been meaning to record for awhile.

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.