• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Which Ad Campaign was actually effective for you?

Reaction score
Lately Ive been noticing some gimmicky (and sometimes, pointlessly comedic) advertising campaigns. Some try to be subtle and funny with silence, followed by their company slogan and logo...and instead of being effective in luring me into their product, it just make me think "*** is this?" Times really have changed, it used to be to the point, and as time went on things got weirder and weirder.

So has there ever been an ad campaign that effected you? Made you want their product?

Personally, the Apple iPod commercials are simply "cool" and stylish, but it really doesn't make me feel like I want/need an iPod. Ditto for the Mac commercials. What it does do, however, is flame weird feelings in me. I find myself seeing MS as some incompetent, dumb, mindless fools. And Mac as some arrogant, sarcastic punk. I can see why every other community out there thinks we are very smug, just by watching those commercials. I think it actually has the opposite effect on most consumers, making them stray away from Macs and the community. They really should talk to us though, because we're anything but smug. The new ones (bred from the commercials), probably are. but most people here have their head on straight.

Another commercial, probably the MOST effective ad campaign for me, are Carl Jr's commercials. They're simple and gets to the point, while presenting the product in a flattering way.

A guy eating, totally lost in his food, not noticing people calling him. A man, sitting at home alone, eating his burgers, grabbing some fries and dipping it in ketchup and taking a sip of his soda. A guy walking down the aisles in a super market, while the narrator says "Dont want to cook? Go to Carl jr."

Something about their commercials makes me want to go out, and grab a burger!

Whats yours?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
As for me I don't really know how TV ads actually get the viewer to like the product. I hate it when an ad comes in between a show or movie, in turn hating the company. The worst are those that come in between a cricket match or something. Every 5 minutes the same ads fifty times over. It gets really sick.

I do like magazine ads though.

Reaction score
I hated the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ad's since they were extremely smug and just made us Mac users look extremely pompous.
Adverts don't make me think "I have to get one of those" but they bring it to my awareness. For example if there is a new video game advertised I would go look it up and read reviews on it before I brought it I wouldn't just buy it because the advert makes it look like the best thing since sliced bread.
The iPod adverts are the worse for me I’ve having to do a media project and I chose the iPod adverts and the 1984 super bowl advert to compare so I’ve seen both way too many times. But I have to say the first hundred times the iPod adverts are great.
It doesn’t work for me if they have a logo and say coming soon or visit www.blahblah.com to find out more etc.

OP
J
Reaction score
I hated the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ad's since they were extremely smug and just made us Mac users look extremely pompous.
Adverts don't make me think "I have to get one of those" but they bring it to my awareness. For example if there is a new video game advertised I would go look it up and read reviews on it before I brought it I wouldn't just buy it because the advert makes it look like the best thing since sliced bread.
The iPod adverts are the worse for me I’ve having to do a media project and I chose the iPod adverts and the 1984 super bowl advert to compare so I’ve seen both way too many times. But I have to say the first hundred times the iPod adverts are great.
It doesn’t work for me if they have a logo and say coming soon or visit www.blahblah.com to find out more etc.

Exactly, pure creative laziness.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Adverts don't make me think "I have to get one of those" but they bring it to my awareness.
That is what ads are supposed to do. None of the ads will make you buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I agree with everything said above. But ads aren't supposed to make you like the product they're selling. Oh no. Their whole point is to make whatever they're advertising stick in your head so you remember it. And when you're in the store and are like "hey I need a computer. Well I remember that mac ad. Sure the ad sucked but macs are cool". Just one example.

And that's why all those annoying ads are successful. You just can't get the annoying thing out of your head. And that's the whole point.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Remember those jiggles in ads.

Like plop plop fuzz fuzz oh what a relief it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD

You meant "jingles" perhaps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I recently had a newspaper advertisement actually trigger the purchase of a product. In this case, it was a product I had been contemplating the purchase of for a while. The ad reminded me that I had done my homework, made my decision and was ready to buy, but just hadn't yet. I went out and got the product that day. The ad didn't sell the product - the product itself sold the product. But the ad provided the final nudge in the sales process. I am sure that an ad executive would chalk that up as a success for the ad.

The product in question was a Canon Powershot G9 camera. Some readers may recall my posts a while back asking for member recommendations for "good point and shoot" cameras. My research kept leading me back to the Canon G9, which is as close to an SLR feature set as I could find in a compact point-n-shoot form factor. Added to this is excellent image quality at lower ISOs AND the ability to manually control what ISO the camera uses, even in low light, flash based scenarios. All put together, it was a winner for me. So far so good, I have been pleased with the camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
That is what ads are supposed to do. None of the ads will make you buy.

While that should be true, it would depend on the individual in question.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I know ads can seem irrelevant or just flippant

But really good advertising people know what they are doing, just plugging the fact that a car has 250 HP is no longer enough, you've got to project what the car can promise you - the freedom of the road, coolness, not just using the thing to drive to work in conjested traffic.

When you look at adverts after having studied the subject you can spot what psychological hooks they are using.

Can't date girls - that dating site will get you laid
Relationship on the rocks - that new kitchen will fix it all
Your, like a total geek - hey girls actually digg guys who drink Doctor Pepper
In a load of debt - why don't you consolidate all your debts into one huge debt you can't possibly afford (warning - your house may be at risk)
Want to look cool AND smart - buy a new pair of glasses

you get the idea

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Apple has had three commercials that had a impact on me.

1. This ad convinced me to take a closer look at Mac's.
http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/cube_T1.mov

2. This ad sold me on buying a Powerbook. (Although I purchased a 15").
http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/powerbook_g4-03-02_m480.mov

3. But this ad made me realize the company that captured my personal computing lifestyle - really was one cool company! This is my favorite Apple commercial of all time.
http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/itunes_pepsi_m480.mov

I can't think of another company with a more successful ad campaign history than Apple. Or none that come close to Apple's creativity anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
True, dat! :)

Back on topic, the ads for "Hair Loss Replacement" and "Natural Male Enhancement" sold me. I now have a full head of hair and my wife smiles ALL the time!

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I think some ads are better at telling me what not to by.

Remember "Carrot Top?" He singlehandedly ensured that I would never use AT&T's phone service.

I'm also definitely not going to see that chipmunk movie.

Burger King isn't getting any of my money, no matter how badly I want a soda or a cup of coffee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
dacameraman, I like all of those. That first one always got to me. Hendrix Purple Haze, grabbed me from the beginning. Otherwise I might not have even watched the ad. Love that song.

The 2nd was well done also.

:D at Baggss as always!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
That's not even an Apple ad. It's a Pepsi ad. There's some wasted ad money for you!

I always loved how that kid in the commercial states "I was one of the kids prosecuted for downloading music off the internet..."

Not a single kid or person was actually "prosecuted" for anything.

It features 16 naive US teenagers ‘persuaded’ to appear as virtual criminals in a multi-million-dollar campaign put together by BBDO, a major New York advertising agency, promoting Pepsi-Cola and Apple Computers’ iTunes, and backed by the RIAA, Big Music’s public face.

The teenagers were identified by the RIAA as being alleged ‘copyright violators’ - ‘alleged’ because they never appeared before a judge. They, or their parents, settled out of court rather than risk much larger financial penalties had they gone head-to-head with the RIAA’s heavyweight legal team, and lost.

She was not, though, ‘prosecuted’ for anything. She’d never been in a court. She was, rather, mouthing words from a script contrived by BBDO and approved by Pepsi and Apple.
Hooray for sensationalist advertising.

Complete article here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook

I'm sure I'm going to regret asking, but...what was the ad for? o.0

Adverts make me change channels, but the "knock off Nigel" ads amuse me, mind you as I don't buy ripped dvds, I don't think I'm the target audience ;p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.