Taking control of my PC

P

Pete McNeal

Using an Ibook to control a PC

I just purchased a new IBook 1.2 GHz. I have a wireless router and I’m trying to figure out how I can use my old PC as basically a secondary hard drive. I’ve done quite a bit of research, and figure I can use RDC from Microsoft, but I’m not quite sure of its full capabilities. For instance, when starting up the PC would I be able to see the start-up screen and what not?? I’m hoping to be able to just put the PC in a corner somewhere without the need of a screen, mouse and keyboard and then using the Mac to control it.

Please, if you've used Remote Desktop Control on the Mac to control a PC let me know if you can see the start-up screen and all of that or if you can only log in once the computer is up.

Thanks.

OP
F

fabio

hi, there is a programm called realVNC just search on google.

this programm you have to install on the windows.

then, download "chicken of the vnc" its a client.

start it, enter the windows IP and control your win

OP
O

Orange

.... while vnc is great, if you only want to use it as a hard drive... run an ftp server on it, leave it in the corner, and you have a file server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
You won't be able to do anything via your mac until the PC is actually started up and running as a remote desktop server. I don't think it has to be logged in, though.

Set it up as a fileserver if all you want is to use it as a hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.