managing cd-rw

Reaction score
Hello again
Can someone tell me how i can manage a cd-rw, i.e. add docs, delete docs, etc.. The cd was originally created in windows and it is able to be adapted from there but when i try to delete or add items in OSX it says i do not have sufficient priviledge or the cd could not be modified.
It won't even let me erase the entire cd in disk utility??
All help welcome
Thanks

I

iSheep

With CD-RW, you can't actually just write onto them and off them like a floppy disc or hard drive (unless you use some crazy software). When Windows 're-writes' a disc, it copies everything on it, adds the bit you want, and then puts it all back on the disc - you just never notice it because Windows likes to hide things.

A

alanramsay

A bit Ridiculous is it not?

iSheep said:
With CD-RW, you can't actually just write onto them and off them like a floppy disc or hard drive (unless you use some crazy software). When Windows 're-writes' a disc, it copies everything on it, adds the bit you want, and then puts it all back on the disc - you just never notice it because Windows likes to hide things.

But surely there is some way of easily (and without paying for software) doing the same thing on Mac as in Windows? (whatever way it actually happens, the effect is like a really big floppy) if not, that's a really stupid oversight by Apple. does anone know how or where to get a utility for it? Why do they label the drive RW if the OS doesnt support that?

Alan

M

m1k

Try disk utility (built into Mac OS X, browse Applications and you'll find it). It allows you to erase CD-RWs.

I

iSheep

Mac OS X allows you to do everything that Windows does, it just does it without hiding things from you.

A

alanramsay

iSheep said:
Mac OS X allows you to do everything that Windows does, it just does it without hiding things from you.

Thanks for the help guys. that works for me.
It does seem like a decidedly unsexy way of doing it compared with the drag and drop you have in windows once its formatted. Yes maybe Windows is really copying and Pasting in the background but it does it rather efficiently while requiring me to do nothing. I quite like that.
Dont misunderstand me, i love most of the Mac interface and the hardware design, own a Powerbook and love it but they're not perfect like the myth would have us all believe, which is a let-down.

Alan

I

iSheep

alanramsay said:
Thanks for the help guys. that works for me.
It does seem like a decidedly unsexy way of doing it compared with the drag and drop you have in windows once its formatted. Yes maybe Windows is really copying and Pasting in the background but it does it rather efficiently while requiring me to do nothing. I quite like that.
Dont misunderstand me, i love most of the Mac interface and the hardware design, own a Powerbook and love it but they're not perfect like the myth would have us all believe, which is a let-down.

Alan
I was quite surprised as well, I expected there to be a button in iTunes as well, but there isn't. I'm sure there's a good reason for this; perhaps Apple think that the Disc Utility is an all right method to go about it, who knows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
You should try FireStarter FX. its great, you can copy all sorts of stuff, and erase with it too.Get it here .it works really well, Ill post a screenshot of the erase media sction.

fing25.gif

Picture 1.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.