Can this be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a back up of office 2004 mac version I bought a while back when I was a student and used to be in the habit of backing up my software I had purchased legally.

Good job I did and the disk smashed once when I pulled it out of its case leaving me only with the back up.

Would this back up be able to be read by a mac mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You owned the right to use to the disc that was smashed. You didn't own the right to make copies. Any advice given would get this topic deleted/ closed. I would say, wait till the new version of Office comes out soon. It's suppose to be a much better app.

OP
K
Reaction score
Here in the UK we can make 1 copy as its the license you own to use the software and not the actual disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I suppose technically it's illegal, but since you made a backup for yourself, didn't sell or otherwise distribute the original software (or the copy) I say go a head and use it. That's assuming that it will work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Actually most software license agreements allow you to make one backup for personal use. So you should be fine.

Kola: As a side note, what you're allowed to do in the UK is irrelevant here since we follow US law on this site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Considering a Mac... hopefully
You owned the right to use to the disc that was smashed. You didn't own the right to make copies. Any advice given would get this topic deleted/ closed. I would say, wait till the new version of Office comes out soon. It's suppose to be a much better app.

I thought it was legal in some cases. For iLife it says that "You may make one copy of the Apple Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original." It depends on what country you live in.

OP
K
Reaction score
This is going to get technical and more re law than my Q :)

Ive never been into piracy as you'd end up with ever bit of software and cant possibly appreciate it all. What a waste. Ive just bought BBedit for my new Mac Mini Im about to buy. Cant wait, excited etc even at 34 years old :) You just cant get that with pirate copies surely??

Kola: As a side note, what you're allowed to do in the UK is irrelevant here since we follow US law on this site.

Point taken fella

I suppose technically it's illegal, but since you made a backup for yourself, didn't sell or otherwise distribute the original software (or the copy) I say go a head and use it. That's assuming that it will work.

Thats my issue though ben, will it work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If a member doesn't give a country so I guess we have to assume US law

if a member gives another country then I think we can advice them under local law, since that will not be breaking THE terms and conditions

The Software license is conditional on the country, thought, I agree, the legal terms of this site may be USA based, we have to make sure we do not to advise or condone illegal activity, but if European law lets us make back-up copies - that is not breaking the law if you are an EU citizen.

So I guess, try to advice people under the terms and conditions that apply in their country - but make sure you can back any statements up with fact

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harsh crowd tonight. Someone thinks I don't get "Your mom" jokes and I get what would have been a negative rep from this thread. Seeing it was from someone who doesn't have enough rep or post count to actually give me negative rep, I assume it was Kola.
I helped you a bunch when you asked about the Mac Pro and NO positive rep. I go by what I know from reading a previous thread about about a guy trying to make a copy of a Windows disc (who happened to be torn a new one) and looks like I get torn a new one.
Or I am totally wrong and I apologize Kola for giving you bad info and for singling you out for attempting to give you negative rep.

M

MacHeadCase

if a member gives another country then I think we can advice them under local law, since that will not be breaking THE terms and conditions

The Software license is conditional on the country, thought, I agree, the legal terms of this site may be USA based, we have to make sure we do not to advise or condone illegal activity, but if European law lets us make back-up copies - that is not breaking the law if you are an EU citizen.

So I guess, try to advice people under the terms and conditions that apply in their country - but make sure you can back any statements up with fact

Every member here goes under the rule of US law, no matter where they live and what copyright laws prevail in their own country. I mean we all agreed to this when we joined here:

4 - Illegal Activity: We choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

This also includes discussion of breaking the terms of software or hardware EULAs

So if a member asks for or gives info that does not follow US laws, he/she will be seen as having broken forum rules.

OP
K
Reaction score
did I break a rule? Im sorry if I did and please know it was unintentional.

Im still baffled by photoguy's post??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I commend you for doing that with your software. I have lost plenty of discs too, which is why i'm doing the same with everything i own today, except OS discs, because they can be kind of touchy.

OP
K
Reaction score
I am quite heavy handed. It was one of those (then 2004) new fangled DVD boxes you had to press the centre in to release the DVD.

Tells lies, you dont have to press the button as it comes our fine without. Just in more pieces than you'd like. Im just pleased I got it right the first time:eek:

M

MacHeadCase

did I break a rule? Im sorry if I did and please know it was unintentional.

Im still baffled by photoguy's post??

I need some Aspirin. You got any? ;D

Nah I was just trying to make sure that everyone understood that what is allowed in this forum with copyright laws has nothing to do with where the member lives. The forum rules state that we all have to follow US laws no matter what laws are applied in the member's country.

OP
K
Reaction score
no thats fine I totally am cool right from photoguys first post saying he didnt think the Q would be allowed.

You dont really have to explain, its either allowed or it isnt.

Its photoguys rep post that baffled me. Nothing more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Not sure if you actually got anything out of this thread, but the simple answer is yes, you can use your backup of Office 2004 with the original key that came with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rep is a feedback system. You click on the check mark/x box on the left side of everyones post. The green dots refer to how much positive rep someone has.
you can check your rep from your profile and read other's comments to you. The person who leaves rep has the choice not to leave their name. If a person does have enough positive rep, the rep is neutral.
Hope that clears up your question.
Sorry for assuming. :-( *puppy dog eyes*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

The Forum Rules are clear, US law is followed here regardless of where a particular member comes from. I suggest you read through them to familiarize yourself with them.

I'm sorry if you don't agree with that, but it is the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.