• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

NTSC to PAL transcoding

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Can anyone point me in the right direction.

My sister lives in the USA and she recently got married and they had a DVD made of the wedding which she sent to all of her family who still live in the UK. This DVD is Region 1 NTSC encoded but as I have a multi region DVD player and multi standard TV I can view it no problem. My dad however has a really old TV and really cheap and nasty DVD player and can't view it because it needs to be PAL.

Is there a way I can convert this DVD to Region 2 or Region 0 PAL for him?

I have software that can change the Region code or remove it but I don't know how to go about the NTSC to PAL transcoding. Is there software out there that can do that?

I'm not in front of my Mac at the moment but from memory the software I have that is video related are:

iMovie
Handbrake
MacTheRipper
Toast

Will any of these do it or do I need something else?

Reaction score
I'm doing something similar but from PAL to NTSC.

I haven't worked out all the kinks, but I think you'll need JES Deinterlacer, MPEG Streamclip, and the MPEG2 addition to MPEG Streamclip.

Doesn't this seem like such unnecessary grief???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.