• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

An Anonymous Person Has Threatened A School Shooting At My College Tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Apparently, this has already made it to the major news outlets, but I'll give you guys the story here.

At about 6:45 PM CST today, my college (Northern Illinois University) released an Alert that police had found a threatening message written on the walls of one of the residence halls here. The place they found it is less than a quarter mile from where I live. The person referenced Virginia Tech and said some horribly racist things. He said that things would "change hastily" here tomorrow. He said to watch the Student Center, which is about a football field's length away from where I'll be taking my Microeconomics final tomorrow afternoon. The school has already said that it will allow professors to do make-up exams later in the week, but classes will go on as usual. I'm going to go to class tomorrow because: a.) I think this guy is just trying to get finals cancelled and b.) I've studied too hard this semester to let this get in my way.

Here's the official alert from my college's website, you can get the whole story there:
http://www.niu.edu/alert/campus_alert.shtml

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Be careful anyway dude! There sure have been a lot of shootings going on lately (Omaha/Colorado Springs) etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Dang, that's some crazy news. We had threats like that when I was in high school, it was pretty crazy, no one ever did anything but there were a few insistences where people called in with bomb threats and shooting threats. I didn't ever think much of it, most people are too puny as a human being to actually act on the B.S. they spit out. They are scared of themselves, and threatening others is just a lame excuse to get attention because they are a reject and they suck at life.

I hope all is well with your school, I hope nothing happens at all. I doubt it will tomorrow, especially since the person in a moron and has already announced it, I'm sure people will be well aware and be on guard tomorrow and probably for the next week or so.

Good luck! I hope it stays safe. I hate people do crap like that.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Update: Classes have been cancelled for tomorrow. I studied so hard all weekend at it all got ruined by some sociopath. I'm going to go drink some Guinness at my cousin's house to relieve my anger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Sorry to hear about that. I would put my money on your option A, but I guess you can't be too careful. I hope they find him and throw him in jail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
They are scared of themselves, and threatening others is just a lame excuse to get attention because they are a reject and they suck at life.

Those are the kids that usually shoot up the schools.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
I also go to this college, nothing has happened thankfully, but it's really screwing up peoples' schedules...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
What a sad, messed-up individual.

Still, the maniacs who tell you when, where, and how they're going to commit some massacre aren't the ones you need to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I'd choose getting the finals rescheduled over worrying if some shooter might be 100 yards away from my classroom.
If you studied correctly, you should remember everything you studied. Grades are based on how much information you can retain. If you retain the information for only 3 days, what's the point in learning beyond the letter of the grade??
I almost went there for college. My car dropped the transmission right off the highway leading to campus. I never made it to orientation and never attempted to go back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I'd choose getting the finals rescheduled over worrying if some shooter might be 100 yards away from my classroom.
If you studied correctly, you should remember everything you studied. Grades are based on how much information you can retain. If you retain the information for only 3 days, what's the point in learning beyond the letter of the grade??
I almost went there for college. My car dropped the transmission right off the highway leading to campus. I never made it to orientation and never attempted to go back.

Well if that isn't a sign...haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminium PowerBook G4 first gen
What are people thinking? -_- What is the point of killing students?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Well if that isn't a sign...haha.

This was like 8 years ago. I graduated in '05. It would totally just be erie if I was in college now and decided to go somewhere else.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well, I have retained the information. I have 3 econ classes this semester so it's hard NOT to remember things. I know I'll retain the information. I'm more mad because this final is 40% of my grade and I was pumped for it. It got rescheduled for friday so its all good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Actually, they're reopening tomorrow. I'm lucky because I didn't have any finals today anyway so this doesn't really affect my schedule...I just hope this person doesn't act just because we all think it's safe now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
My school, Towson University, received a bomb threat / shooting threat the Monday before Thanksgiving. I guess it was someone's cheap attempt to have classes cancelled before the short break.

In any event, the school remained open which I was a little irritated about. Being fairly close to Virginia Tech, I was a bit worried that some psycho was going to cause harm on campus.

Long story short, nothing happened and I decided to cancel a few of my classes. At least you got extra time to study for finals.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.