Will my patience pay off???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
So bear with me and dont move me to switcher forum.
I AM GETTING A MACBOOK PRO for sure some of my family has them and now its time I turn to the light. i have 4 grand saved up and i want your opinion. ill be in basic training from jan.1st to mid feb. and I know macworld or something is in that time period. Should I wait and see if they release a refreshed mbp or get one now. Id just hate to get out and see that shortly after i made an investment they rolled out with a newer version and i feel cheated. :Angry-Tongue:
  1. Now now now!
    or
  2. WAIT!!!!!!!!

all help will be appreciated

cheers

[edit]

well they moved me anyways EVEN THOUGH I SAID NOT TO i just wanted to know if it will be smarter to wait grrrrrr.......

OP
I Can Has Mac!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump

bump

cmon people

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
i'd say just get it now, if they make any hardware upgrades you can just buy the hardware and upgrade it yourself, ya know? If you really care about how it looks though I'd wait to see if they come out with a better looking model

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
I would wait till then, but don't wait too long.

The good thing is, if they come out with a new product within 14 days of you purchasing the old one, they will let you exchange.

OP
I Can Has Mac!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well the thing is i dont want to return after 6 weeks to find my expensive equipment is already bested and i havent been able to use it more than a week :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would just buy it now. If I needed it. When they eventually come out with a new one, the old one is going to work just fine.

Just think: Do you really need it now, or can you wait for a while to see if a new one will be coming out?

I still use a 3rd gen. iMac to download music... *cough* I mean download music from iTunes for $.99.

OP
I Can Has Mac!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i know squat about mac how long is a typical lifespan of simple tasks like surfing maybe nabbing a few "legally" downloaded flicks and some tunes nothing big.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would say.. 7 years, max. I need to retire my 3rd gen iMac.

OP
I Can Has Mac!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that beats our old pcs that run ragged after 9 months(tops) hahaha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
I say wait. You've got nothing to lose and by waiting you will be guaranteed to have the latest setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Learn things:
As always, if you're waiting for the next big thing in technology, you'll be waiting forever. With Apple, it's even harder because they are notoriously silent about product updates. Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply speculating.

Choose the machine that suits your needs now and buy it. I promise, it will continue to suit your needs, even after a new model comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
i say wait if you must. but you'll forever be waiting with Apple products, since they get an update ever so frequently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would say.. 7 years, max. I need to retire my 3rd gen iMac.

I normally only get 5 good years use out of my macs. As in use as my primary machine. But post that they are still useful as 2ndary machines for a few years after that. Only things like major system or hardware changes (9->X or PPC->Intel) will change things.

My old imac is a 33mhz one that was first released in 1999. And it's on 10.3 now ans is a great secondary machine. So that's 8 years and still useful to a point. Wow! I never realised this till now. And sure it's resale value is about zip. After 5 years it drops drastically. But that doesn't bother me. I'm still happy with it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
bump

cmon people

Didn't your thread title mention something about patience? :Angry-Tongue:

I don't think the MBP will be updated in January, at least not significantly, but you never know.

What is heavily rumoured is a sub-note book, i.e. an ultra-thin, uber-sexy, MacBook with a solid state HDD and an insane battery life.

When it comes to technology, I always recommend you buy when you need it. That way you're not going to be dissapointed. In the end, you'll have something you needed and something that fulfills those needs. What would be unwise would be to buy a MBP now, and really 'need' a sub-note book, when one is rumoured to be coming out in less than 2 months.

Reaction score
In this case I would definitely wait. I will eat my MALIBU BARBIE DREAM HOUSE WITH MATCHING PINK CORVETTE if MBPs are not updated in January.

OP
I Can Has Mac!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I heard that the new peryn proccesors should be out but will they be implekented in the mbp hmmmk...

Reaction score
I would have to agree with those suggesting you wait. As for my own opinion, I would include wait until after basic training. So which branch have you joined?

OP
I Can Has Mac!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I joined the

chair force lol.
i come from a family of other branches and they all rag on me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
My g4 is now 5 years old and stiill going strong

but if you can wait until macworld do so, if you can't wait - it will do no real harm anyhow - and you can have a mac for Christmas

good luck in basic training by the way - a lot of respect to anybody serving

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5
In my opinion, there will always be something bigger, faster, better out there. I am lucky and with my situation at work I can stay in the latest hardware passing my old hardware along to new employee's. But, I am starting to learn that this has definite drawbacks too. For a marginal speed gain (most upgrades) you spend a lot of time backing up and transfering files, etc. Maybe it is age but I am starting to learn that the latest and greatest may not always be the best option.

That being said, we'll see how well that logic holds up for me when the new Mac's come out, whenever they do!!! It is so very hard to hold out....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.