What is .MAC?

Reaction score
On Thursday I will be getting my very first Mac and since my job is paying for it ($1,800 limit) I am going all out and was wondering what .MAC is, if its something that is needed to keep my MAC working and what the benefits of having it are. Also is there anything you would recommend that I get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
In case you don't feel like wading through all of the tutorials on Apple's website as posted above, the .Mac service offers:
Online storage of anything (iDisk)
Website hosting (for use with iWeb on your new Mac)
Online backup (Using Backup 3 or auto syncing of Prefs, etc.)
Use of Back to my Mac

Purchase of .Mac is discounted to $69 for the first year IF you purchase it on the same ticket as your new Mac. After that, the price increases to $99/year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, I made the mistake of waiting when I bought my MBP. Now paying $99 for one year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I did too... because I didn't think I'd use it. I do use it. Glad I got it, it's like a little extra security for files and backups... nice feature!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MA927Z-A-Mac-5-0/dp/B000BX7GAI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1197261972&sr=8-1

One can purchase a .Mac retail box at Amazon (every day, this is not just a sale) for $69.99

I use .Mac simply because I like having the "[email protected]" email addy, and it works great with iWeb.

You've got to be kidding me! 30% off! Wow. Tells you how much I shop around. I just buy directly from the Apple Store.

I love the .mac email. Some of my friends thought I worked for Apple when I sent them an email. It was funny. (But it makes more sense to receive an email from @apple.com.

<Sorry off topic>

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.