partitioning my hard drive?A few Q's?

Reaction score
IM going to partition my hard drive to install windows vista. I will be using vista solely for gaming, nothing else.

I will have at least half life orange box, far cry, unreal tournament 2007, command and conquer and maybe a few others.

My question is, including the installation of vista, how much should i partition off for windows and my games, would 50 gigs be sufficient? i really only want to partition as little as possible, only partitioning the amount i will need and a few gigs spare. I will have all the games installed ready to play on it at any time, and a bit of spare space for any other games i would want to install.

Could i partition vista and put all my games on my external hdd and play them fine? Will they run just as good as an internal drive or should i keep it all internal.

After i have installed vista and done the partition, can i re-partition changing the amount of space and still keep all my files untouched.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day there.

Might I suggest a second hand peecee unit for gaming? You will be no doubt disappointed at the speed of your iMac when booted into vista and running high speed games.

Reaction score
it's best to backup what you have just in case. i took the risk and didn't backup because i don't have much on my macbook except some photots-I didn't lose anything when i partitioned my HD.

Reaction score
Backup just in case, like dp said. If you are going to use Boot Camp to partition, files will not be damaged. Later on, if you relaunch Boot Camp again, you will have the option to resize your hard drive to a single volume. I would suggest keeping them all internal, 50 gigs should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Could i partition vista and put all my games on my external hdd and play them fine? Will they run just as good as an internal drive or should i keep it all internal.

Thats what I do...
I have Microsoft Flight Simulator X on an external drive (the thing takes up 16GB) and play it from there...
I was extremely surprised to see how fast it ran (and I was using a usb hdd)
However, if you have enough space left over after installing vista, I would put as many games as you can on the internal hdd

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.