• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Good DVD menu software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
What's another good DVD menu authoring software, that can accept all kinds of formats? I was pretty upset when i found out that iDVD didn't accept any file formats that i have, so converting them only made them look worse. I really like the menus in iDVD, but if it doesn't accept the right file formats, it's ot worth using. Is there any comparable editing software with the like menus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Most formats will be converted if you are going to be producing a playable DVD because the DVD will require a proper MPEG-2 file. Beyond DVD Studio Pro, an offering from Adobe, and a primitive tool including as part of Toast, I'm not sure there are other DVD creation applications for the Mac. I'll also be interested, out of curiosity, if there are others.

I'd take a careful look at your conversion method. As far as I know, iDVD can't use a native MPEG-2 file, so you'll end up effectively converting twice. Once to something iDVD can read, and again when iDVD converts the file to mpg2, which takes some time.

When you do convert, do not limit the bit rate, or else make it high. Changing the image size from someting smaller than what the output will be will give a worse image.

Your lack of information makes me suspect that you are taking something like an already converted Divx file and expecting some miracle to occur. At any rate, your lack of information will get you less help. When you post, think about what kind of questions responders might have.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What questions might you be asking? I created the file in 2 formats, 345Mb MPEG2 and an 8.80 GB AVI file. I converted both of these to MP4 at the highest quality possible, with no compression at all. I still got a green line at the bottom of the clip, but it only showed up in the finished DVD. When i played it in Quicktime, it never showed up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Specs of the original file; size, source, codec, length? Same specs for your converted files. Sounds like you are using something other than a OS X.

Note, giving the above info doesn't mean 'I' can answer your questions, but it is the type of stuff that helps people help you.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, i'm making my files via Bootcamp on a PC partition with Photodex Proshow Producer. I honestly have no clue about the codecs involved, the length is a mere 5-6 mins long, size is 720x480 pixels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see via their web site that one of the output formats is MOV (QuickTime) but they don't give details about it, and I'm not going to download, install and figure it out for you. You might try that.

Open the info panel in QT for that movie and confirm the size is 720x480. Make sure the frame rate is 29.97fps. Also confirm the quality is good at this stage.

You said a green bar is not visible when played in QuickTime, on the Mac I assume. Is the green bar one pixel or many? I'm am completely out of my element here, but this might have something to do with the first frame being odd or even.

Also remember that you can use preview in iDVD to see the result. So try that with your current file to see if it displays the green bars. If so, then remember to try that before burning a new DVD with other tests.

You might want to search the forums for people who have done a similar thing using iMovie or have used sources transfered from their Windows OS's. I can imagine people have bumped into this before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.