Soon to be new iMac'er - Recommened RAM

Reaction score
I am sure that this question has been asked before, just want to confirm my experience and expectations. I am a long time PC user, and I build every PC since 1998 myself, with near top of the line equipment. Sadly I never really got that wow...this is speedy and responsive feel for any lengthy period of time with a PC. After 6 months or so, I always found a fresh install brought the feeling back...but again for a short time.

Windows XP is the OS I have had the most enjoyment (I think I can use that word with XP in the same sentence :) ) with, and 2 GBs of RAM with a mid-range minimum video card gave the best bang of buck for performance.

So as a soon to be purchaser of an iMAC, debating still on 20 or 24 inch, I am wondering with Leopard, should I got with 2 GB or 4 GB of RAM? More is better.....but not always...PC experience has taught me that 3 or 4 GB just doesn't provide enough bang for buck.

Now to give a little background... PC use ranged from .Net Programming, Web Development, Picture Editing, Video creation (painful), to simple word processing and gaming (i.e. Half Life, NFS, and COH). Not sure if that helps with a response....

Any recommendations.. thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I haven't been a Macee for too long, but from what i know when it comes to Macs, more is always better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
I recommend getting 4GB's for what your doing. Just get it from somewhere other than Apple. From what you've said, Im sure your familiar with Newegg.com. Its DDR2 667 (PC2-5300, or 5400). they have a good deal on the Corsair stuff right now. They always have a deal on one brand or another. I've got G.Skill in mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Oh, and get the 24" one.

On a side note. I used to build high-end PC's myself.....not anymore.....not again.

Reaction score
2gb is fine. Unless you will be using After Effects, which is an utter pig, and then you'll want 4gb. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.