Wireless networking etc.

Reaction score
Hi all

I know you get a good number of posts from newbies with basic questions already, but I'd like to add mine in and hope that you'll indulge me (I'm only semi-computer literate as it is without adding the new mac factor in...) :D

I currently own a desktop PC that's a few year old. I plan to buy a macbook as a 2nd machine to use around the house - so I'll be keeping the PC (for now). I'm hoping this will allow me to learn about mac/Leopard etc. at my own pace before sometime further down the line deciding to retire my PC (either replacing it with an iMac or just using the macbook as my only computer).

So - here is where I start to get clueless...

1) I know I'll need some kind of wireless connection. Never had one before and don't know how they work - at all. Do I need to buy an Apple product for this or can anyone recommend another brand. Do I need to check it's compatible with mac before buying?

2) Is it possible to somehow create a kind of network so I can access files that are on my PC through my macbook? (If so, is there something else I need to buy to allow this?)

3) I think I read that the 2nd button on a 2-button mouse will work with mac. Can anyone recommend a wireless 2-button mouse to use with the macbook? (Or is it better to go with Apple's own expensive 1-button mouse?)

4) I've read that it's cheaper to buy RAM seperately rather than as an upgrade option from Apple. Bearing in mind I don't know whether I'm going to want my macbook as my only computer one day I'm wondering how straightforward self-installation of RAM is. I've added RAM to my PC successfully so can follow simple instructions carefully if I know where to find them...

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Tony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
1) Not necessarily. At least if you stick to the main brands like Linsys or Netgear and such, they are all compatible with the mac
2) Yes, Mac OS X supports windows shares out of the box. No configuration needed (at least on the mac side).
3) Apple's Mighty mouse is a two button mouse with a single button shell. You can however get any mouse and use it with the mac. Even multi button mice work well with OS X.
4) Yes. But your RAM outside of Apple. Most DDR2 SODIMM 667Mhz RAMs work with the macbook. It is also very easy to install the RAM yourself.

OP
T
Reaction score
1) Not necessarily. At least if you stick to the main brands like Linsys or Netgear and such, they are all compatible with the mac
2) Yes, Mac OS X supports windows shares out of the box. No configuration needed (at least on the mac side).
3) Apple's Mighty mouse is a two button mouse with a single button shell. You can however get any mouse and use it with the mac. Even multi button mice work well with OS X.
4) Yes. But your RAM outside of Apple. Most DDR2 SODIMM 667Mhz RAMs work with the macbook. It is also very easy to install the RAM yourself.

Thanks for the prompt reply! :) With regards to question 2 - again, sorry for being clueless here - while OS X supports this how do the PC and the macbook actually "connect"? Do I have to hook the PC to the wireless system too and they 'talk' that way or so I need some other kit?

With regards to the mouse info (and thanks for this) - is a bluetooth mouse the way to go? (And does the basic macbook have bluetooth or will I need to plug a dongle or something into it?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
If your windows is configured properly for sharing, then on plugging it in via ethernet or airport, the Windows PC will automatically appear in the sidebar (this is with Leopard or 10.5). However, right now there are a few bugs because of which sometimes it doesn't show up, but there are very simple workarounds for that. The same thing with a router. If it is configured properly, they will automatically appear in the sidebar.

Note, that you can also access the mac shares from your PC, but with all the viruses around, I wouldn't advise that.

As for the mouse, if you can afford a bluetooth mouse, go for it. The macbook comes with bluetooth so there's no problem there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'd also recommend using the search button at the top of the forum. You'll find lots of valuable information already on the question you've asked.

OP
T
Reaction score
Note, that you can also access the mac shares from your PC, but with all the viruses around, I wouldn't advise that.

So (to make sure I've got this right) I can access files contained in my PC from my macbook but shouldn't attempt to access files that are stored on my mac from my PC?

The main thing I think I'd want to do is be able to show pictures on my macbook. I have around 8000 on my PC, all archived using Adobe Photoshop Album. As I've spend a long time adding tags, captions etc. I don't necessarily want to just import them into iPhoto as I'm assuming I'll lose all of this data and need to spend weeks re-doing all of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting one for Xmas!!
Hurray!! Almost a switcher!! Got my 24" iMac yesterday. Will try and work on it later today!! Thanks for all your help.

Penny

Reaction score
G4 Powerbook Disc Drive eject/recieve mechanism

Have had g4 for over a year never had any probs before, but of late the disc drive mechanism has been playing up. To start with it wouldn't 'suck' the disc in unless timed right upon waking, (had to shut lid and wait for second time it whirred and then feed in disc) then yesterday wouldn't spit disc out. I want to start by cleaning its meachanism. Can anyone point me in the right direction for correct procedure re opening it/ static discharge etc. Has anyone else had this prob? I should add that my g4 earns its living, coming everywhere, inc workshop, showing portfolio anywhere, and being general home ent as well. We're no talking sterile office and treated like crown jewels. (metal casing, bring it on)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.