Macbook Update Cycle?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Considering a Mac... hopefully
What is the yearly cycle that MB gets updated? The last update was in November with the Santa Rosa platform. When is the next one going to be and what will it update? What about the next next one?

Also, will there be any design change from the current black and white plastic soon? All of the Apple products have gone aluminum in one way or another. Recently it was the iPod family and the iMac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There is no set product update cycle. They come out when they come out. As always, if you're waiting for the next big thing in technology, you'll be waiting forever. With Apple, it's even harder because they are notoriously silent about product updates. Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply speculating.

Choose the machine that suits your needs now and buy it. I promise, it will continue to suit your needs, even after a new model comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
There is no set product update cycle. They come out when they come out. As always, if you're waiting for the next big thing in technology, you'll be waiting forever. With Apple, it's even harder because they are notoriously silent about product updates. Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply speculating.

Choose the machine that suits your needs now and buy it. I promise, it will continue to suit your needs, even after a new model comes out.

Whenever someone asks this question again, I am going to copy and paste what you just said. :)

(This is like the 1000+ time it has been asked.)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Whenever someone asks this question again, I am going to copy and paste what you just said. :)

(This is like the 1000+ time it has been asked.)

Believe it or not, I do copy and paste pieces of that - only because it gets asked in so many different contexts.

I understand the concern - no one wants to make a major purchase only to find that something bigger and better comes out a few days or weeks later. The problem is, you have to understand that technology never stops for a second. In the PC world, things are pretty transparent so it makes sense to wait for products that are imminent.

But with Apple, you just have to bite the bullet and buy the machine that you need. It's silly to sit around and guess what might come out because no one knows. The rumor sites like to make a game out of it, but they're wrong far more often than their right. One wonders who their sources are since Apple is known for flushing out moles by providing false information to suspect employees.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
mac rumors had a nice cover of the apple refreshing cycle and they said now is the time to but macbook otherwise wait for everything else. google it up it explains all thier hardware spans in depth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.