flying with a brand new Mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5 GHz Pb G4 2 GB, imac 2.4 GHz 2 GB, iphone 16 GB
Hi guys and gals,
I am planning to buy a 20'' imac, but i'd like to purchase it in the US and then travel back with it to Europe, the Netherlands to be exact.
Should I absolutely rule out the possibility of taking it on board of the plane, or is it possible? If not, then do you think it is safe enough to check it in? Maybe you have some suggestions on how to make the trip for the mac as safe as possible?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You could buy an air case. You could ship it in the box it came in. It did come from China so it's been on an airplane once already.

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
are they fully assembled in china? i'm not so sure. also, they go through cargo, they're handled differently.

i'm just not sure how worried i should get about checking it in. anyone else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
are they fully assembled in china? i'm not so sure. also, they go through cargo, they're handled differently.

perhaps you could ring up the airline company and ask 'em?

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
took me a while to find my thread, i don't know why it ended up in the switcher's hangout... i am an apple user (see mac specifics under my avatar).

i don't know which air company my family member will be flying, but i do know that all air companies are generally freaked out. for example, last time they did not allow me to take my hair straightener with me on board... no comment on that one.

i think that probably the safest way to do it is to put the box inside a suitcase, wrap it in clothes for extra safety and check it in.

thanks for the responses i got so far guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
When I brought back some tools I bought from Home Depot in Atlanta, I put them in an inconspicuous brown box with nothing on it, labeled it and put a "fragile" stamp on it. Items made it to newport news with no damage, though with something that expensive, I would apply for airline carry on insurance if your flight offers insurance.

Btw, it was probably moved to the switchers forum, because where it was originally put was not the right place, and none of the other forums seemed suitable. Whereas the switchers forum is kind of common ground for a majority of questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Also, I'm not sure about the laws of the Netherlands, but I would expect you'll have to pay customs when you arrive home.

Of course, if you try to hide it in your luggage, you might get away with it...or you might get charged with smuggling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You may have to pay European value added tax at customs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.

YES, they're fully assembled in China.

The only differences between cargo & baggage is the paperwork. Trust me, the person throwing your bags is also throwing your boxes on the belt-loader outside the aircraft. I did this for two years.

I suggest you take the imac in it's original box and have a local UPS Store pack it for you. Be sure to let them know you plan to check the box as luggage. Also be sure to write your name and complete home address on the outside of the box.

Once at the airport, check the box curbside, and don't forget there may be an additional charge for excess luggage? If questioned (at the airport), tell them the contents are for your job.

Good luck.

OP
red milk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the tips, dacameraman.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 GHz, 2 GB Ram, 120 GB HD
I work for an airline and there is no way I would allow my computer into the belly of a plane. I have watched some pretty amazing things happen on the way up the belt loader. I even watched a guy ride on a box marked fragile. Depending on the airline there is not much in the way of morale anymore so it could be a risk. Just my $.02.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
That's why I suggested having the UPS Store repack the Mac box. They (UPS Store) boast how they are able to pack any shipment against damage.

AAhitman; Ever seen "human remains" fall off a belt-loader? Someone once shipped "HR" illegally in the white cardboard box with plastic banding. turns out the body was wrapped in gauze and loosely bagged. Anyway I was sitting in the pushback tug when all of a sudden two female "ramp rats" came running and screaming towards me. One fell on her face, tripping over the tow-bar. Yeah, you guessed it - as the box was being pushed into the cargo door, it broke open spilling the remains onto the ramp. Mind you, in plain view of the gate area at LAX. Myself, and two Mechanic's ended up repacking the freight. It was later when we heard from the Station Manager that the remains were illegally shipped.

<sorry for going slightly off-topic>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 GHz, 2 GB Ram, 120 GB HD
Yuck! I'm glad I missed that one. As a mechanic there is no way I would have helped repack that mess! NO WAY!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I guess I left a little too much open in my original comment....
As all the others have now mentioned, it's probably not a good idea to let that computer go as baggage without a lot of very secure packaging. Insurance is a plus. If you plan on doing this the cheapest way, the more like it will come back in more than one piece.
As for this thread getting moved to the switchers forum, your title is "flying with a brand new mac." I've seen plenty of questions where someone overseas wants to buy a Mac and transport it over to their native land themselves. They've almost always been new Mac users. This seems like the most appropriate place to put this thread as well. Most people buying new Macs and asking for advice here are switchers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
No matter how you ship it, you will get stuck paying the EU VAT.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.