Upgrade to Leopard & Bootcamp

Reaction score
Ok quick question and I know this has probably been beat to death (or maybe not as I couldn't find any information) but I'm one of the people that just assumed Boot Camp would be a feature of all Macs OSes not just their newest one.

After having a lot of trouble with blue screens on driver related issues I came to see if there had been an update past 1.4 beta. There had but of course you need to upgrade to leopard in order to do that.

Now my question is as such. I know there are some features I want in Leopard but I'm not quite ready to upgrade. I had planned to upgrade sometime this spring when a few of the kinks were worked out. Specifically in question to boot camp, is the leopard version improved? Are the windows partitions there more stable than the ones that were built on the 1.4 version of the drivers? I require windows for a few games I play (well two, Anarchy Online and Ultima Online, neither are workable with any virtual software or crossover. Trust me I've tried :p) and while I had originally thought about doing a few cheap upgrades to my windows machine and gaming on it and dropping the windows partition I still find uses for windows every now and then while I'm on the move.

Basically, boot camp for leopard, is it worth upgrading to get the newest version of this. OR should I hold on till I'm ready to upgrade anyways (anytime between Jan and mid spring which is also when I planned on replacing the harddrive in my laptop with a 7500 RPM variant.)

update: Also there might be a chance I will be upgraded for free when I return from Germany. I've had a HUGE host of problems that need to be fixed between my semesters in Germany and the ones I start in the US....we'll see how the 'genius bar' handles the problems. (If you care, in the lower left corner of my display and pressure there causes vertical lines in the display on the left, RIDICULOUSLY high temps because of the problem that apple claims is not a problem, and a couple other small things such as lid warping and paint decay, all this and I bought the thing on August 26th)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20in 2gb Ram.Macbook Pro 15in 2GB RAM
Well first of all, after Dec.31 you cant use the Boot Camp beta, you have to upgrade to Leopard. I know it stinks. Im getting Leopard next week or the week after so if u still dont get a answer to the blue screens then ill tell you if it works or not. (I have lots and lots of problems with blue screens too.)

Also about your overheating problem, i had to send my Macbook Pro to Apple to fix a few things and then they said they added Heat sink something, I forgot what it was called. But now i dont have any heating problems.

OP
Dominion
Reaction score
Well first of all, after Dec.31 you cant use the Boot Camp beta, you have to upgrade to Leopard. I know it stinks. Im getting Leopard next week or the week after so if u still dont get a answer to the blue screens then ill tell you if it works or not. (I have lots and lots of problems with blue screens too.)

Also about your overheating problem, i had to send my Macbook Pro to Apple to fix a few things and then they said they added Heat sink something, I forgot what it was called. But now i dont have any heating problems.

Well I can still use my boot camp partition, that's not what I'm worried about. I've created the partition I want to keep so I don't need the boot camp application itself anymore. What I'm concerned about is driver updates and if the updates in leopard will help fix my problem. I'm not ENTIRELY sure it's the drivers causing the issue I just know that I'm getting blue screens in concerns to my video card.

I'm going to format that partition tonight and see if it helps. Also like I said there may be a chance I say screw it and drop windows on the notebook completely and let my desktop do the windows thing. If I could get Anarchy Online on OSX (I already got Eve YAY OSX Client) then I could give up all my windows apps. Circus Ponies Notebook and iWork 08 solves my need for Office 07. (Although I do still kinda miss OneNote)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.