• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Merry Tossmas

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Let me first say that I am in that group of people that do not celebrate Christmas per se.

However, I do find this to be right on and thought others may enjoy it also.

Merry Tossmas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
That was good. I enjoyed that very much. He makes a valid point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i saw this the other day and let me just say feliz navitoss!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Great link Bobtomay!!!! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Hooray for an anti-secular Christian America!

I personally think that is ridiculous. Yes Christmas is the main holiday, but this guy acts like Hanukkah or Kwanzaa don't exist.

Personally, the only thing I'm celebrating on December 25th is American consumerism.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
Ha, thats pretty funny, on that note - Young Conservatives of Texas at the University of Texas at Austin bring you the ACLU Solstice Barn. A secularized Nativity Scene featuring Mary and Joseph as Gary and Joseph; the three Wise Men as Stalin, Lenin, and Marx; a Nancy Pelosi Angel; a terrorist shepherd; and of course, no baby Jesus in the manger, but instead a sign that reads "The Season"

n7960621_41760563_8113.jpg

n7960621_41760566_383.jpg

n7960621_41861577_7805.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
that is a very interesting "solstice barn"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ha, thats pretty funny, on that note - Young Conservatives of Texas at the University of Texas at Austin bring you the ACLU Solstice Barn. A secularized Nativity Scene featuring Mary and Joseph as Gary and Joseph; the three Wise Men as Stalin, Lenin, and Marx; a Nancy Pelosi Angel; a terrorist shepherd; and of course, no baby Jesus in the manger, but instead a sign that reads "The Season"

n7960621_41760563_8113.jpg

n7960621_41760566_383.jpg

n7960621_41861577_7805.jpg

Now THAT I find funny!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Oh great, more of the War on Christmas. It must be so hard for Christians to be victimized by Secular America.

Why is it so bad that some people want to be inclusionary instead of exclusionary?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Oh great, more of the War on Christmas. It must be so hard for Christians to be victimized by Secular America.

Why is it so bad that some people want to be inclusionary instead of exclusionary?

Agreed 100%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger

Are you saying that it is exclusionary to wish someone a merry Christmas? I say it's inclusionary. I respect you enough to include you in my holiday. If you celebrate something different, tell me about it. I would be honored to be included.

And it's still discrimination even if it's against the majority. I think the real problem is people are too eager to be offended by other people that we can't just all get along.

So I say Merry Christmas to everyone. If you don't celebrate, feel free to wish me a Happy Hanukkah, or whatever you celebrate. Or ignore me. Just don't be offended by me.

Also, I thought the Merry Tossmas thing was kinda funny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I'm not religious, so I do not really celebrate Christmas, or any other holiday. I find it absurd that people get upset when 'Happy Holiday's' is said instead of 'Merry Christmas'. Yet I have NEVER seen a single person get upset when someone says 'Merry Christmas'. The 'War on Christmas' is as allusive as the 'War on Terror' and the 'War on Drugs'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
[Shields Up]

Ok folks, lets remember a few basics. December 25th is the day traditionally observed by Christians to honor the birth of Christ. It is called Christmas for a reason. Christmas is the holiday that drives this season. Not Hannakuh, not Kwaanza.... nope, Christmas.

I find it sad that retailers, governments, school systems and almost any other public organization you can name are so lacking in intellectual honesty that they will not admit this, and will instead disingenuously try to appear to embrace the Christmas message while removing the word "Christmas" from it.

Christmas is THE holiday around which this season is built. I doubt that anyone would honestly say otherwise.

I for one am offended by the politically correct double speak that passes for Christmas salutations these days.

...and so I wish all of you who consider yourselves Christians (for the record, I count myself among this number) a very happy Christmas season.

BTW, none of the above is an endorsement of the crass commercialization that has overtaken a very significant religious observance. To those who would attempt to exploit the Christmas season for the maximal gain, I would change my salutation in accordance with the video - Merry Tossmas!

[Shields Down]

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Are you saying that it is exclusionary to wish someone a merry Christmas? I say it's inclusionary. I respect you enough to include you in my holiday.[/SIZE]

As the holiday actually predates christianity then you are not respecting anyone!

We've been celebrating this holiday since at least 3000 BCE so are quite offended when some young upstart cult comes along and attempts to hijack it! ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
[Shields Up]

Ok folks...

[Shields Down]

Businesses use Happy Holidays in order to not exclude anyone. This is not to be politically correct. This is simple business sense. People that do NOT celebrate Christmas may be uncomfortable shopping at a business that is gun-** Christmas. If they are uncomfortable, they are less likely to shop there. Less customers, less profit. It is as simple as that.

Government should, ideally, not endorse any religion or religious celebrations. Obviously this is unrealistic. But flagrant attempts at injecting Christmas into government are generally beat down.

And Christmas should NOT be taught in schools, unless it is in context. If ANY teacher would have tried to teach Christmas to me in any of my classes in high school, I would have walked out. Schools are not little Christian incubators. You can learn about Christmas in your church or from your family.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
[Shields Up]

Ok folks, lets remember a few basics. December 25th is traditionally observed by Christians to honor the birth of Christ. It is called Christmas for a reason. Christmas is the holiday that drives this season. Not Hannakuh, not Kwaanza.... nope, Christmas.

I find it sad that retailers, governments, school systems and almost any other public organization you can name are so lacking in intellectual honesty that they will not admit this, and will instead disingenuously try to appear to embrace the Christmas message while removing the word "Christmas" from it.

Christmas is THE holiday around which this season is built. I doubt that anyone would honestly say otherwise.

I for one am offended by the politically correct double speak that passes for Christmas salutations these days.

...and so I wish all of you who consider yourselves Christians (for the record, I count myself among this number) a very happy Christmas season.

BTW, none of the above is an endorsement of the crass commercialization that has overtaken a very significant religious observance. To those who would attempt to exploit the Christmas season for the maximal gain, I would change my salutation in accordance with the video - Merry Tossmas!

[Shields Down]

From one Christian to another, wow, that's all I can say. That seems like a pretty narrow-minded idea. If you can imagine that you were Jewish, and most of the world was Jewish (or if you just lived in a country to region thatt is mostly Jewish) then you could make the exact same argument except to insert Hanukkah where you said Christmas. The holiday season is driven by whatever you, and you alone, celebrate. From the point of view of Jewish people, Hanukkah drives the season.

I don't believe people should get all uptight when they see something celebrating a holiday other than their own (like the guy who wanted to due an airport last year), but I don't think we should just forsake all people who don't happen to believe in the same things either. Mutual respect and understanding is the key to a peaceful life. If we learn nothing else from "the war on terror" hopefully that is learned.

I also agree 100% with Cheesybanana about religion in government and schools. Your religion is something very personal you share with your family and those who share your beliefs. There is no reason for it in the school system or in government as it has nothing to do with the objectives of those institutions. It's presence there would only serve to disrupt the foundation of those institutions in terms of the freedoms of Americans to choose their religious beliefs and not be in some way hindered or oppressed because of those beliefs.

But if you really want to get picky about what drives the holiday, consider that the celebration of Christmas on December 25th was originally driven by the celebration of the winter solstice and pre-Christian "pagan" celebrations. So maybe we should all just say "happy winter solstice".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
...and here I thought the link was going to get me some good tossing cookies action on a Christmas Tree or something. let down...

I say Merry Christmas, but honesty I don't really give a crap if you have an actual "merry" Christmas. I would hope if I said Merry Christmas to you and you say, thank but I'm Jewish. I would then say great, Happy Hanukkah. Not "Sorry, Happy Hanukkah", but "Great". I still don't give a crap if it's "happy" or not, don't get me wrong here. :)

Taking this one step further, would I really "wish you a Merry Christmas", probably. Wishing something for someone is a platitude that I can take part in.

This "Happy Holiday" crap is just another example of America becoming a beef stew instead of a melting pot. The groups celebrating something other than Christmas are in the minority. According the the video clip 90% of American's celebrate Christmas. When the minority, on any subject, runs the show you are bound to get decent and eventually a revolution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Are you saying that it is exclusionary to wish someone a merry Christmas? I say it's inclusionary. I respect you enough to include you in my holiday. If you celebrate something different, tell me about it. I would be honored to be included.

And it's still discrimination even if it's against the majority. I think the real problem is people are too eager to be offended by other people that we can't just all get along.

So I say Merry Christmas to everyone. If you don't celebrate, feel free to wish me a Happy Hanukkah, or whatever you celebrate. Or ignore me. Just don't be offended by me.

Also, I thought the Merry Tossmas thing was kinda funny.

I don't think that simply wishing someone a Merry Christmas is exclusionary. But I think when people cause an uproar about businesses saying Happy Holidays they're trying to exclude a segment of the population from the season. Happy Holidays is meant to include everyone, not to offend Christians. If you want to wish people a Merry Christmas, that's fantastic. But if someone wishes you a Happy Holidays for whatever reason, I hope you aren't offended.

Reaction score
I personally think that the video was ridiculous... as others have said, imagine if this was a jewish run country (not saying anything about that religion, but it is the minority), then christians would "probably" (and I say probably becuase you can only guess) be the same exact way. To me, this video is suggesting that just because christians (75% of the country) put alot of emphasis on this holiday is giving them a bad name and saying they are trying to run this holiday season... 100% not true. The reason people say happy holidays is not to exclude anyone, but we say happy holidays to include everyone, be polite, and respect others beliefs, not just our own. I myself believe what I want to believe, not what ANYONE else tells me (just like other religions, no one is forcing you to belive in anything). I personally believe in the bible and Christmas, but to each his own. Honestly, if others who are not christians, but are any other religion, would like me to stop saying happy holidays and start saying Merry Christmas or nothing at all, I will, but I will by no means start saying happy hanukkah, or anything else. Just like their religion would not start saying Merry Christmas to me...

~appisgrt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Should we remove Christmas as a Federal holiday? I wouldn't want to offend anyone by giving them a day off or not delivering their mail. ;)

I have to say people that are too uptight over the celebration of any holiday need to get over it. American is predominantly Christian. Christmas is going to be celebrated, it's going to be in your face, but that's the price to pay living in a country where most people are Christian and celebrate Christmas.

I'm not saying that it's right to exclude, but there is a big difference between exclusion and celebrating a holiday. I hope you can see that. And for those people who feel excluded because a store may say "Merry Christmas", I would ask how do they survive at all each year November through December?

In Cleveland, there's also a section of town, near where I work, that is predominantly Jewish. There are menorahs all around, and at the mall there (which is a great mall btw) there are Happy Hanukkah signs all around. I think it's awesome. I don't get offended, walk out and throw a fit because someone is celebrating publicly a holiday I don't.

Expecting a predominantly Christian nation to not be proud about celebrating Christmas is like me moving to Saudi Arabia and throwing a giant fit because they're celebrating Ramadan or I move to India and they're celebrating Diwali (which btw, they celebrate at my work because of a large number of Indian workers. I love it!)

Now obviously I'm a Christian...Episcopalian to be more exact. I think all people have a right to practice their religion and should never be discriminated against for doing so. But I also think that sometimes people get too uptight over things they perceive that aren't real problems. Why make a big case out of if a store celebrates Christmas or there is a Christmas tree on public property? Why not worry about all the homeless or the hungry or the poor? Why not worry about all the war, famine, and suffering in the world?

There are much more important things to get worked up about IMHO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.