Why

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33ghz 2 Gb RAM 160GB 17" Glossy...
why is it that safari 3 no longer has tabbed browsing, or more precisely the tabbed browsing option that was once present before the upgrade to safari 3? and before anyone tells me NOOO safari 3 doesn't have tabbed browsing. It won't go directly to tabs like it once did, i can't understand why they would eliminate such a great feature??? also, I or anyone else should not have to hold down a button combination to display a link into a tab, there should be a feature that performs this with a simple click in the preferences pane.

any ideas, suggestions, complaints..

thanks..later

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm not sure what your getting at. My tabs work the same as they did in Safari 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Have a look at Tabs in Safari preferences......

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What I think you are looking for has been moved to the View Pull Down on Safari. Check this Pic.

Click on Show Tab Bar and it will always be visible. I hope this is what you are looking for. Made me think for a few minutes till I checked the View Menu.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
melow71
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay.. i mean that when i click certain links the page will open in a new window, ????? the only place i can think of to fix this problem is preferences in the safari pane and i go to general and click the box at the end of the page but, still the problem persists./???? maybe someone could just tell me what i should do to enable the tabbed browsing and we can go from that point.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
Unfortunately, it's not that easy. Some links just open up in a new window unless you tell it to do differently. (No matter what your preferences say.) You can right-click on the link and say "Open Link in New Tab" or you can hold Cmd while you click. Either of these choices will do what you want it to, and IMO, they're not too much out of the way.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
maybe someone could just tell me what i should do to enable the tabbed browsing and we can go from that point.

thanks

Ok, you just asked HOW to enable Tabbed Browsing. Safari, Preferences and the Tabs tab. Here is a pic. The only setting in Safari and Tabs that is different from Tiger to Leopard is that first thing I showed you. Otherwise the settings are the same.

This is where to enable Tabbed Browsing. If this is not what you want, there is nothing more I can suggest as Tabs work here just as they did in Tiger.

iLindzo also gave you some very good info!

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
dtravis to the rescue like always!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Maybe you had saft installed while you were using Tiger. Saft makes tabbing a much better game than the default tab features of Safari...

Reaction score
I'd love to see a *every* window open in a new tab, instead of new window, just like in Firefox feature!

Like a forced feature...

OP
melow71
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay when i had tiger and i clicked a link is ALWAYS WENT TO A NEW TAB AND NEVER A NEW WINDOW BECAUSE I ENABLED TABBED BROWSING... okay... now tabbed browsing does nothing.. the links never open in tabs but always in new windows???? and i know you guys are trying to help to thanks.. but i feel like i am taking crazy pills or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
No way dude. It was the same in Tiger. You must surely have installed Saft or something.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
goobimama is correct. Safari works the same way in Tiger or Leopard here. For clicking on a URL like say www.mac-forums.com and have it open in a tab either Right Click and hit Open Link in New Tab or Command Click and it will do the same. The setting in the Preferences says Open Links From Applications.

Edit, I am on my old Power Mac G4 500 in 10.4.10 still using Safari 2. It works EXACTLY the same as Safari 3 in Leopard 10.5.1. You right click on a URL in a post or Command Click to open it in a new TAB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
What I think you are looking for has been moved to the View Pull Down on Safari. Check this Pic.

Click on Show Tab Bar and it will always be visible. I hope this is what you are looking for. Made me think for a few minutes till I checked the View Menu.

Fabulous... Thanks

OP
melow71
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay,, then i am definitely nuts, because before i update to leopard and safari full version, safari beta, would allow me on my computer to have all pages go directly to tab and never to a new window, which was beautiful.. so i guess i am stuck now though..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay,, then i am definitely nuts, because before i update to leopard and safari full version, safari beta, would allow me on my computer to have all pages go directly to tab and never to a new window, which was beautiful.. so i guess i am stuck now though..

I installed Beta 3 on my main Mac, Did not like some of the Bugs and issues I was having, and went back to Safari 2 till Leopard came out. I don't remember if there was a difference or not with the Tabs. I agree that feature would be nice, but it's really not that big of thing for me to right click a URL and click open in new Tab.

OP
melow71
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay.. so now i pose the question. Does anyone know how to make safari divert all opened links to tabs, without holding a button combination or right click???? simply a script, program or what have you, that will allow the user to simply click the link and have it always go into a new tab, instead of new window. Basically the reverse of what is on Safari now, such that you would have to right click for the new window, whereas now one must right click for the tab???

any ideas :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Been looking around for you and so far nothing to do exactly what you want. I did find though you can take a url and drag it to the Tab Bar and it will open in a new TAB. Found that out by accident. Works every time.

Here is a URL with a lot of info on what you want to do. Sorry, still no work around for the exact way you are after, but this might help.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/11/21/how-to-open-links-in-new-tab-in-safari/

OP
melow71
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.