Apple DVI to Video Adapter, but how dow I turn of my laptop screen

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got the Apple DVI to Video Adapter to connect my Mac Book Pro to my television and it works great. The only thing that I can not figure out is how to turn my laptop screen off but still have the screen output got out the DVI port. Unlike when I have my laptop hooked up to an external monitor and I close the lid and the laptop know that the external monitor is hooked up and it keeps the computer on, when I do that with the DVI to Video Adapter hooked up it cause my laptop to go to sleep. What I would really like to do is keep my laptop open so that I can use the mouse and keyboard on the laptop, but turn the laptop screen off and only have video output to my television? Does this make since to anyone? :D

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you can turn the brightness all the way down

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286
Basically, you need the laptop plugged into power, have a USB mouse or keyboard. After activating the external monitor, close the lid of the laptop, wait for the laptop to sleep, then wake it up with the USB mouse or keyboard.

Frankly I wish Apple would allow monitor toggling for laptops, it's a bit of a glaring omission.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks coach_z and opus_az. I had not thought about the turning the screen brightener down that is a easy work around. Thanks for the additional input opus_az, the set-up you described is what I am using in the office and that works as yo described. Usually when I take my laptop out to the living room it is to watch streaming video or something that I have gotten off of iTunes, but bringing the mouse along might work. I will try. Thanks again to the both of you!

Reaction score
Why can't you close the lid and use Front Row, and use the remote to watch whatever you wish to watch?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.