New Mac User - I have five simple questions

Reaction score
Hiya,

Due to a stroke of good fortune, I've come across a used MacBook running Tiger. I apologize if my questions are in the wrong forum (I have a mixture of Software/Hardware Questions).

Here are the basic specs:

Processor: Intel Core Duo - 2.0GHz
Ram: 2 x 256Mb
Hard-drive: 60Gb
Monitor: 13"

I think that's the gist of the necessary information - Now to the questions:

1. My roommate has Leopard. Do I need to get my own copy? I plan on getting my own but is their any benefit from registering a copy of Leopard - I assume that's the only reason I'll need to get a separate copy.

2. Can I use any old WinXP CD to install Windows via bootcamp or are their special Mac-Versions of windows. I assume their aren't since both PCs and Macs have Intel Processors.

3. What's the maximum memory/RAM capacity for my pre-leopard-era Intel MacBook? 2Gb? 4Gb?

4. Where's the cheapest place to buy: Leopard, 100Gb+ Hard-drive, Gigabyte sticks of RAM, a Macbook media remote (newegg?, tigerdirect?, eBay?) - any specific manufacturers?

5. Are their any other must-have third-aprty programs other than Adium, Quicksilver, Picasa, Firefox/Camino? Is there anything that really sticks out?

Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to respond.

Quick note about my computer background: I've been a linux user for the last 18 months and I plan on installling linux on my macbook at some point, but first I want to give the OS-X operating system a test-run. I'll be installing windows so I can play a game, but I might not have too once I read up on Crossover.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
1. My roommate has Leopard. Do I need to get my own copy? I plan on getting my own but is their any benefit from registering a copy of Leopard - I assume that's the only reason I'll need to get a separate copy.
Yes. You should get your own copy. EULA agreement prohibits you from sharing.

2. Can I use any old WinXP CD to install Windows via bootcamp or are their special Mac-Versions of windows. I assume their aren't since both PCs and Macs have Intel Processors.
Ordinary XP CD would be suffice.

3. What's the maximum memory/RAM capacity for my pre-leopard-era Intel MacBook? 2Gb? 4Gb?
2GB

4. Where's the cheapest place to buy: Leopard, 100Gb+ Hard-drive, Gigabyte sticks of RAM, a Macbook media remote (newegg?, tigerdirect?, eBay?) - any specific manufacturers?
Someone else may help you on this one.

5. Are their any other must-have third-aprty programs other than Adium, Quicksilver, Picasa, Firefox/Camino? Is there anything that really sticks out?
Depends on what you want to do with your MB. Here is a list of freeware that might interest you.

Quick note about my computer background: I've been a linux user for the last 18 months and I plan on installling linux on my macbook at some point, but first I want to give the OS-X operating system a test-run. I'll be installing windows so I can play a game, but I might not have too once I read up on Crossover.
I am not sure if there is any advantage installing linux as OS X support most of the linux apps. through darwin port.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Novice answered everything quite well.

On your question #4, NewEgg had great prices on RAM and Hard Drives.

I got Leopard from Amazon for $109. Great deal. The Family Pack is $189 for 5 licenses at Amazon. Also excellent deal.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hiya,

Thanks for replying guys. Still, besides Apple's EULA, what's the reason for registering a copy of Apple? Any benefits over a borrowed, registered, copy?

Reaction score
hi...i know people that have bought leopard and installed it on numerous computers...it doesn't ask for registration (i'm in new zealand) and it all works fine on every computer...i think that apple want everyone to upgrade so haven't made it neccessary to register it....so, unofficially, i'd say just load on someone elses and buy them a six pack foir the trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
if you goto school check them out for leopard. i think my school offers it for 80$

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yup, I attend a university :). I'll check out the school store tomorrow.

Glad you mentioned you are a student. For sure check out your schools store. If not Amazon is a great price.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
hi...i know people that have bought leopard and installed it on numerous computers...it doesn't ask for registration (i'm in new zealand) and it all works fine on every computer...i think that apple want everyone to upgrade so haven't made it neccessary to register it....so, unofficially, i'd say just load on someone elses and buy them a six pack foir the trouble

yeah, sell your soul for a six-pack.
(honesty is the best policy)

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Ordinary XP CD would be [sufficient].
I don't think it's that easy...I'm thinking you need an original XP SP2 disk, unbranded, non-OEM. Nothing that comes with a Dell, for instance.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok, so let me see if I get this straight:

1. There is no good reason to buy leopard...but I probably will anyway because I need to have a CD in which I can periodically restore my OS - I tend to play with computers/systems a lot, so I always have my Linux and XP cds on hand.

2. Newegg.com is the best place to shop - I concur because their prices for memory were reasonable.

3. 2 gigs is the maximum memory a macbook can hold - I take it 2 X 1Gb?

I guess I'll figure out the rest by myself.

Thanks everyone for their help. I'm sure I'll be visiting these forums often after I get my macbook up and running come winter break.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The good reason to purchase Leopard is to not break the law. Also it's good to pay Apple for all their hard work. It's really a pretty reasonable price for what you get.

I have never had an issue with NewEgg and that is why I recommend them. Good prices and service.

You have the 1st Macbook that came out so it's 2GB Max. The newer ones take more. 2GB will be fine.

Good luck with the rest and if you need help, just ask.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.