• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Surround Sound Systems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I was curious, my dad has a really nice Plasma screen and Now wants to get a surround sound systems, can anyone give me some advice on what to look for when buying one..

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Pretty much any sound system you can find will be good. When my dad got the new Samsung DLP, we just got the standard Samsung surround system. It came with a 5 CD/DVD changer and a amplifier all in one.

Bose will be more expensive. JBL & Harmen Kardon will be the best ones you can buy, but they are even more expensive.

Your best bet is to just go online and find a system for the best price. Do your research (google). Or go to the store and talk to a sales representative.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty much any sound system you can find will be good. When my dad got the new Samsung DLP, we just got the standard Samsung surround system. It came with a 5 CD/DVD changer and a amplifier all in one.

Bose will be more expensive. JBL & Harmen Kardon will be the best ones you can buy, but they are even more expensive.

Your best bet is to just go online and find a system for the best price. Do your research (google). Or go to the store and talk to a sales representative.

Makes sense thanks for the help

Reaction score
How much is he willing to spend? Some systems cost alot. If you want like a set, those are generally cheaper than buying everything separately. If he really wants a good sound system setup, it's not going to be cheap. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
go to avsforum.com and look at some of the posts there. you can either choose between an all in one system, or piece one together. It depends on what you are looking for. The all in ones are nice because they are cheaper, and have everything included. If you want to add certain components (HD DVD/Blu-Ray) later on, you will want to piece it together, and center everything around a nice home theater receiver. Yamaha, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo are all good consumer products. Just remember to budget beforehand, and get what you want, not what the salesman tries to tell you that you need.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well he doesent have a very big living room and im sure he wants to keep it under 500.00, we went to bestBuy and say so many of the all-in-one systems, I have bad luck with BestBuy Salespeople i always get one that knows absolutely nothing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha, that's where I work. The best thing you can do is find a manager and ask them. We know all.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha, that's where I work. The best thing you can do is find a manager and ask them. We know all.

I have had a bad taste from shopping at bestbuy ever since they gave me a major hassle making a return, they are gung ** to sell to you but when you try and return from being unhappy it sucks lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hahaha I know. We put a few people in the return section and not worry about it. We say "We will let the techs look at it", then give it to the geek squad guys and they fix it.

I returned my 1st gen black nano for a white for no reason. They let you do almost anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
From what I have read on AV forums, Bose is overrated. For the money I would go with an Onkyo component system. At the advice of a friend I picked one up and it is amazing! It blows my fathers Bose Lifestyle system out of the water!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
For the amount of money you want to spend, it sounds like an all in one package.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
How about the Logitech Z5500? It sounds really nice, doesn't cost a bomb, and connects via optical and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
For a PC or Mac centered surround sound system I would consider the Logitechs, but not for one being hooked up to a Plasma screen in a living room or simular. They make good speakers, but aren't really made for that application.

I guess it would also depend on the size of the room it was going in. This can be a big factor also. But I still lean towards the Onkyo because of the very proven track record.

Reaction score
I agree w/ Onkyo. I've had 5.1 system for the last 3 years and have rather pleased w/ it!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
crutchfield.com is another great place to look, and if you give them a call their sales people can put a system together for you in your budget range. THESE GUYS KNOW ELECTRONICS ALSO. I buy most of my stuff from them. They also have lifetime tech support on anything you buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
(Note: The following post does not take low budgets in to any consideration whatsoever.)

Bose is absolutely overrated. I really hate their sound. I am also not fond of speakers made by Infinity (extremely weak lows) or Klipsh (kind of an all around "blah"). But I'd buy either of those before Bose.

What I don't like about most home theaters these days is that they are very "boomy" sounding. They crank up the subwoofers to high heaven and do the same with the surrounds. This is especially bad when they route the low frequencies from the main channels to the subwoofer since they usually have these dinky, weak front speakers. Personally I would install 7 identical speakers around (no wimpy little horizontal center channel... that's the most important speaker in the whole setup) and a competent subwoofer. The speakers should be big enough to produce bass on their own. Believe it or not, I've had great luck with floor-standing KLH speakers. Mine are fairly old (10+ years), so their newer ones may or may not be as good if they even still exist. Avoid floor standing speakers that are super skinny with a bunch of tiny little 5 inch woofers. Those are all style, no punch. Get something with at least a 12-inch woofer (yes, for each and every speaker). 3-way speakers are great.

Avoid Sony receivers as the ones I've seen do not allow you to have discrete subwoofer in 5.1 mode or above without also routing the lows from the front speakers in Pro Logic or less modes. Pioneer and Kenwood have proven good to me so far.

You don't need Monster® Cable™ to hook all of this up. Go to monoprice.com and get their stuff. It is very, very good quality and the prices are insanely low. I could not believe it when I saw it the first time. I hate to sound like a walking advertising for them, but it's worth it, they are great!

I used to install movie theaters as my job. Real movie theaters, not the home stuff. I can tell you how it should sound, and that's why most people's home theater systems sound so incredibly bad to me. Granted, many movie theaters don't even get it right when setting their levels and EQ, but those weren't set up by me. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I purchased my Onkyo surround system with JBL speakers from www.hifi.com some five plus years ago. I am currently looking to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
I bought my 5.1 speakers from Cambridge Soundworks - really happy with the quality/price .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.