Week old switcher's imovie question..

vi5

Reaction score
I switched last week from a PC to an imac. So I'm offically 7 days into this. Here's my situation:

Had about 180 gigs of home movies (avi files) on my PC external drive, sorted in folders by year. After loading all of my music to itunes and all of my photos to iphoto I thought the next step was loading the movies to imovie. But then people clarified that imovie is not a player as much as an editing software. So they told me to just move the folders as is to my movies folder on my user account. That worked out great. I browse them in front row or can just click on them and open a quick time window.

Now here's my next step. I have some video I want to transfer from my dv tape camer. The imac recognizes the camera opens it and I can import. Now here's the problem.

I want the movies I import to be filed with all my other movies. It allows me to name the "event" before I import it, but then once it imports it, it stores it on my mac hd under a heading of "2006". It lets me edit the name of the event (with the star next to it) but not the heading (which has what looks like a yellow car battery next to it).

I really have no need to edit my movies all that much and I just want the clips/files stored in my folders. Can I just rename these movies and move them to the folders I created?

Also they seem to be .dv files. Are these transferable to PC's as well or can they be saved as other types of files?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if these are stupid questions.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can export your movie into another format. Look under the share drop down menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.